Woodworking Suggestions

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Irylia

Woodworking Suggestions

Post by Irylia »

Starting a thread for woodworking ideas. Please contribute!

First off - this is probably one of my more liked skills as it provides components for so many other things and has a lot of use and value for the community. So thanks for making this a bit more than just carving toys and basic stick weapons.

That said, I think there's always room to add more versatility. The first thing I want to suggest for possible addition is pretty basic - shoes. Namely clogs and wooden sandals (potentially with woven cord or leather straps). Or just being able to carve wooden soles for other types of shoes, stacked heels, things of that nature. I think it would be really neat to include this in woodworking.

What might also be a fun addition to Woodworking so it doesn't require its own skill would be paper-making.

(basic instructions from Wikipedia)
  • Separating the useful fibre from the rest of raw materials. (e.g. cellulose from wood, cotton, etc.)
  • Beating down the fibre into pulp
  • Adjusting the colour, mechanical, chemical, biological, and other properties of the paper by adding special chemical premixes
  • Screening the resulting solution
  • Pressing and drying to get the actual paper
Then in addition to actually making paper you could add recipes for:
- Bookbinding
- Paper-making
- Parchment-craft
- Paper marbling
- Embossing
- Stamp-making
- Card-making

Paper aside, other things I would like to be able to do with wood include:
- Wood Carving (specifically for decorating/customizing things like canes, furniture, staves, bows)
- Pyrography (same as above)

Recipe Addition request:
- Beads
- Toggles
- Buckles (or rings if you want buckles only for smiths)
- Jewelry (brooches, hair pins/sticks/clasps, bracelets/cuffs, earrings)
Irylia

Re: Woodworking Suggestions

Post by Irylia »

Recipe:
- Wooden Handle (for wells)
- Wooden Wagon Tongue
- Wooden Neck Yoke
- Wooden Wagon Handbrake
- Wooden Breakblock
- Wooden Wagon Bow
- Wooden Wagon Sideboards
- Wooden Wagon Baseboards
Dennis1

Post by Dennis1 »

Allowing small branches to be used for Fork/Spoon recipes. I couldn't help but notice how many recipes require a medium branch, and it made my collection of small branches feel sad.

Long Plank into Tray
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

I saw someone posted on the market that they're looking for a better quality fishing rod. I don't think there's actually a recipe for this currently - at least I didn't see one. I'm not sure if COGG fishing rods are just a flexible pole or if they're rod and reel so if this gets added to recipes, it might need multiple components. I'd like to suggest its addition for woodworkers. I'm guessing construction of the full item might require the following:

- Fishing Rod
- Wooden/Metal Reel (which might also require components)
- Fishing Line

By the way - I did see there's a generic "rod" recipe, but it doesn't seem to work for fishing and you can't attach fishing line to it. It doesn't say what it's a component for so I guessed it was unrelated. If it's supposed to be for fishing, it might be bugged.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Fishing rods are now craftable! See viewtopic.php?f=21&t=540
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Mikecummins6

Post by Mikecummins6 »

I just love woodworking and i make different stuffs myself and actively read many blogs a day related to woodworking. For beginners i can recommend this page to start with and gather a good amount of knowledge from that:
https://theedgecutter.com/woodworking-basics-beginners/

Its great post by Mr. Bill Baum who do professional woodworking