Cooking Recipes!

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Rias
DEV

Re: Cooking Recipes!

Post by Rias »

Some food items were lost from stores due to a bug, and I'll get to replacing them. I think cooking may be one of those things that gets lumped into a singular Minor Crafts skill, along with glassworking, pottery, and brewing. It definitely needs some recipe love either way, though.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Ephemeralis

Post by Ephemeralis »

Couple more recipes to throw into the mix (harhar):

Dried meat
Tool: drying rack, shelf or winnowing basket
- 1x raw meat
Time: 2-3 hours
Produces a travel stable, base unappetizing (-1) product that can be used as long-term trail food or as components in other recipes.

Pemmican
Tool: bowl + knife + pot
- 2x dried meat
- 1x animal fat
- 1x berries (emberberry, blueberries, etc)
Time: 2 minutes
Creates the trail food to end all trail foods, pemmican. Tastes pretty decent, has a VERY long shelf life. Has high nutrition (150-200%) and can have bits sliced off it if desired. High quality pemmican could be one of a few trail foods to provide small morale bonuses, making it a high demand product.

Rennet
Tool: knife + pot
- 1x cow stomach (new butchering product)
- 1x salt
- water
Time: 5 minutes
Creates an important precursor product to cheese, rennet. A little bit of rennet can curdle a lot of cheese so the quality of this product could be used to influence how much of it is actually consumed when making the next steps.

Coagulated milk curds
Tool: pot
- milk
- rennet
Second tier step towards making cheese. Uses all the milk, but only a little bit of the rennet.

Drained milk curds
Tool: winnowing basket
- 1x coagulated milk curds
Time: 1 minutes
Draining off the curds is the third tier step towards making cheese. Good quality curds make good quality cheese.

Cheese
Tool: Cheese mould (new construction item)
- 5x drained milk curds
Time: 6 hours
Stuffing the drained milk curds into a mould and leaving them to dry, solidify and cure turns them into GLORIOUS CHEESE. This is a super high nutrition product for all the effort that goes into it - we're talking like, 1200% or more from a single wheel of cheese. You can slice cheese into 'quarters' of cheese, slicing them again gives you 'eighths' and slicing an eighth gives you a solitary slice of cheese to nibble on or use in other recipes.

Hard cheese
Tool: pot
- 1x wax glob
- 1x eighth of cheese
Classic cowboy staple. Dry out some cheese, dip it in wax, and you've got a nutritious, tasty and versatile trail food. that can double as a wedge to lift up a wagon in a pinch.

Salted pork
Tool: drying rack, winnowing basket
- 1x cut of pork
- 1x salt
Another classic cowboy staple. The wild west version of bacon.

Trail meal
Tool: package
- 3x salted pork
- 3x hard cheese
- 1x hardtack biscuits
Packaging the cowboy essentials together into a simple package provides an easy, long-lasting meal on the go that doesn't taste half bad. Bundles up a lot of nutrition into a single relatively lightweight item for those not wanting to lug around entire backpacks full of seared meat or corn dodgers.
stratcat

Post by stratcat »

I'd love more low-level recipes for a lowly brute to throw together without much fuss. Planning to invest in that a tiny bit. If people are going so detailed on ingredients, I'm wondering... what do you think about making a distinction between basic ingredients (the stuff you REALLY NEED to make this meal) and extra ingredients (improves flavor/morale gain)?

Ash-roasted potatoes
Potatoes roasted in the hot ash of a dying campfire.
Tools: probably some stick to get the taters out with later
Ingredients: potatoes (duh)
Extras: butter, salt
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

The idea of having the basic recipe and optional extras is a great idea. You can make plain scrambled eggs, but they'll be super bland, maybe a tiny morale hit. Optionally throw in some pepper or seasonings or cheese or whatever to make them better.

Trick will be implementing it in the code, but I'll see what I can come up with.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
nobody

Post by nobody »

Rias wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:12 am Trick will be implementing it in the code, but I'll see what I can come up with.
Maybe add some additional cooking commands to handle it, require them to be used during cooking.
e.g. cook scrambled eggs
then while cooking,

Code: Select all

season skillet with salt; season skillet with pepper; season skillet with cheese
some things might also be done in advance of the cooking

prepare raw meat with salt
(I wanted to use rub, because seasoning rubs are a thing, but it's also an emote and stacking that offers potential for awkwardness.)
stratcat

Post by stratcat »

> hands
You are holding a pinch of black pepper in your right hand.
> rub black on chicken
You rub Black.
Can't say I see the issue.

(And yeah, the season command sounds fun!)
Last edited by stratcat on Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Talyn

Post by Talyn »

Being able to smoke/dry meats and fish would also be very awesome. Need thread and a campfire to smoke the prepared meat.
I'm Not Accepting Surrenders At This Time. I Want You To Know Failure, Utter Defeat, And That It Is I Who Delivers It Crashing Down Upon You.
-NotRias
nobody

Post by nobody »

Oh, also maybe

stir salt into skillet
stirring/mixing scrambled eggs is necessary for the fluffiness, and often improves the quality of many foods over just letting it heat unevenly. Unstirred noodles, I'm lookin at you!
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

One idea I've toyed with is getting tired of the same foods. So if you have the same food over and over, or to a lesser degree food made from the same primary ingredients, you get tired of it and morale from it lowers until it goes a tiny bit into the negative. Nothing substantial, just something to poke people into varying up their food consumption a bit to avoid that pesky tiny morale penalty.

And further, certain foods could have shorter or longer lasting appeal. Pemmican (to use an example above) might be a tasty travel food at first, but you get tired of it relatively quickly. So people don't just stock up on gobs of pemmican and never eat anything else. Or they could, and just deal with the very minor "tired of that food" penalty if they're not bothered by such things - I'm not trying to flat force people into eating different foods, just nudge. It's not going to be a game-breaker. More complex and fancy culinary delights would in turn take a bit longer to get tired of eating.

So yeah, the flapjacks at the Hearth & Home are delicious, absolutely. But you eat them every day for every meal and you're going to get tired of them and want to find something else to eat.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

This may be an unpopular opinion since people tend to like the more realism aspects of this game, but I am not a fan of the "getting tired of the same foods" idea. I really hope this is something low on the priority list if it's being seriously considered. If it is a serious proposal - please wait to add anything like this until there are actually more food options (especially travel food) readily available and/or cooking is fully implemented with a wide variety of recipes.

Reasons I'm opposed:
- Some people do just fine eating the same thing all the time. I'm sure this was even more true in old timey days when variety wasn't always an option. I would personally be much more amenable to something like not getting a morale bonus from same foods instead of actually going negative, but either way I'm not sure why this would need to be a thing.
- Food expires in this game so people constantly have to restock or worry about riln loss if they overstock and don't play for a week - and food isn't cheap. This would just be one more food "worry" on top of that.
- If people want to focus on other areas of the game than feeding themselves, I don't see that as a problem. Why make character maintenance any more difficult when the focus should be RP and community building?
- We already have negative-morale food and people avoid it like the plague. Starter characters even sell their only "free" food source just to avoid low morale. It's almost a "forced-food" as it's the only thing available in the far corners of the world where foraging is still too limited to really sustain a person. I don't think we need to make it so every food has the potential to lower morale.

So I guess what I'm saying is - I feel like this would be a punishment more than a feature. Please don't punish people for having a lazier playstyle or taking the easy route for food by adding negative morale. But feel free to lower the rewards or give no morale bonus if you really feel it's necessary or would add value/encourage people to try new things. Again, just my opinion.