Cooking Recipes!

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
nobody

Re: Cooking Recipes!

Post by nobody »

Rias wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:01 pm One idea I've toyed with is getting tired of the same foods. So if you have the same food over and over, or to a lesser degree food made from the same primary ingredients, you get tired of it and morale from it lowers until it goes a tiny bit into the negative. Nothing substantial, just something to poke people into varying up their food consumption a bit to avoid that pesky tiny morale penalty.
If it's sour grapes small, I'd absolutely be fine with that. It'd drag down morale for characters who keep positive morale and likely change things up a bit, but it'd be barely noticeable on characters that ignore morale and tend to have 0 most of the time.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

In honor of a new recipe I'm learning now, I reckon a simple 6 ingredient dish would be exciting to add to the sit-down menu list. Rather than needing a whole recipe for chopped ingredients, which feels a bit dicey, I liked the implementation of chopping in the cooking tasks where you simply can chop the ingredients. So that's why I'm referring to some things as chopped in these recipes.

Mixing Recipe: Pasta Noodles
Tools: Mixing Bowl
2 eggs
flour
Cook time: 4 minutes

Cooking Recipe: Cooked Pasta
Tools needed: Pot
Pasta Noodles
sea salt
Cook time: 2 mins

Cooking Recipe: Pasta Aglio e Olio (Or Garlic & Oil Pasta)
Tools needed: skillet
Garlic, chopped
Parsley, chopped
Olive Oil
Cooked Pasta
Lemon, juiced
Cook time: 3 mins

This is a recipe that is more than the sum of its parts, for sure and definitely a contender for the satisfied tummy club.

On a side note with regards to implementing optional morale to complicate dishes, why not take the end ingredient of a basic dish like simple scrambled eggs and give it its own recipe, like seasoned scrambled eggs where the season is a seasoning from a table consisting of morale boosting incredients like sea salt, cheese, and pepper. or have all 3 because they're all super great to have. This isn't terribly immersive as no one adds the butter AFTER cooking the eggs (that's how you overcook the eggs!) but that's okay.
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
nobody

Post by nobody »

I really love the idea of contributing recipes you've recently found IRL. I also hate that there isn't enough bland gruel.

Rice pudding
Tools:
Cooking pot + water
Spoon to stir
Ingredients:
1 small jar of rice
1 small jar of milk
quarter small jar of sugar (or quarter small jar of honey)
a small amount of salt
quarter small jar of butter
1 finger of vanilla

(Be sure to add the sugar *after* the rice is fully cooked!)

Oatmeal
Tools:
Cooking pot + water (or milk)
Ingredients
milled or rolled oats (or barley)

(Adding sugar/butter/honey/salt makes it better!)
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

This recipe is brought to you by townsends!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdKzWQOVET4

Potted meat
Ingredients: seared meat, 2 sticks of clarified butter, salt, pepper
Tools: small jar, hammer, pot
Details: You use a small jar to pot the meat in. 1 portion of butter goes into pulverizing the meat, salt, and pepper. the hammer is to pulverize your meat and ingredients together into a paste. Lastly, you take the pot to clarify the butter to pour as a seal.

To consume, apply potted meat to sliced bread. Potted meat is good for months sealed, but when opened, less long!

Also please let me slice bread and apply butter to it.
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."
Firerose

Post by Firerose »

This post asks a lot of questions, and veers into farming/general ability to gather or otherwise obtain in the wild. It doesn't offer recipes. I'm still thinking of those. My sincere apologies if this is in the wrong thread, and really should go somewhere else.

I agree with Irilia, whose name I just realized I don't know how to spell. :(
Please don't make morale hits with eating the same foods over and over. While it makes sense in RL, food is already prohibitively expensive for brand new chars. This is just one more piece of minutia I find unnecessary.

I really love Ephemeralis's post about dried meat, Pemmican, etc. I love a lot of the recipe ideas a lot of you have posted (i'm on page three, so catching up still.)
i'd love cheese molds as a craftable item, though you'd have to use a wax mold of a cheese wheel, or a full cheese wheel, to make the mold.
It'd be wonderful if we could make baking sheets (metalworking, likely?). Mixing bowls could be wood or pottery, maybe metal.
Something to whisk butter, milk, eggs, if needed for certain dishes.
Cookie sheet, cooling rack.
I see we have ladles in the list of metalcast items (that we can make molds of with pottery), but I don't see ladles in metalworking or anywhere else. No way to make a ladle, no way to make a mold, since you have to target what type of mold you want with an item in your hand or on the ground.
Cookie cutters, maybe.
Cooking knives that we can actually make, not just buy in the store, if someone really wants a custom one for whatever reason.
Baking dish for cakes and such (deep with sides, not a flat pan, though that, too.)
Cheese grater.
Commands so we can dice, chop, cube, etc. Not an exhaustive list, just a few words that would make that particular cut. I like the idea of making meat strips or cubes.

Sugar and chocolate would be nice, but I don't know, realistically, where there'd come from, since I think both are more of a tropically-grown product (not sure about sugar.) It's likely that honey will have to be the staple sweetener.

Seafood sauces, making our own meat stocks (chicken, beef, maybe other stocks just based on the type of meat used, and the game inserts that name into the stock item, or, as on Clok, no name given, just "some stock.")

I'm not sure where to post this--it may need to be under farming.
I don't know how commong sheep cheese and milk are, but I know they exist--I've tasted sheep cheese. It could be a nice, different addition.

Could xicamatls be more prominent in game? They're very nutritious, and make a good staple travel food, but right now you only get two or three per room. It's a little discouraging.

Related to farming, there are number of fruits and vegetables Im curious about whether we'll have in game, but unsure if I should post about in a more appropriate thread. It'd be nice to be able to plant them. Perhaps every three months, the selection of seeds changes, based on time of year and "normal" temperatures during that time.

Some random crop or other forageable ideas:

potato, onion, asparagus, celery, tomato, xicamatl, green beans (not sure the name of the plant), beans (legumes) of varying types.
grapes, strawberries, watermelons. Other fruits I'm thinking of are grown on trees... (peach, plum, cherry, not sure about nectarine.) Other fruits I'm thinking of aren't appropriate for the type of land/climate we're in (tropical fruits).

Would it be possible to cook more than one piece of meat at a time? Same with crab legs, etc.
Could shrimp be something we could get, somehow, or clams?

Firerose, who thinks orchards would be an awesome idea. :)
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Baked Onion

Put onion on cooking sheet/pan
Put sheet in oven and bake
Remove sheet
Put onion into bowl.
(Optional) Add butter, salt, and pepper.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
alila

Post by alila »

With regard to variable morale in food recipes, maybe cooking could be made to work like other crafting, where ingredients are 'components', and the final morale is some formula which accounts for the bonuses from its component ingredients?