Hammered metal (copper, bronze)

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Shaula

Hammered metal (copper, bronze)

Post by Shaula »

I love using copper for metalcasting! It's a great way to quickly produce things like arrowheads and nails and buttons. But what about hammered copper, and bronze? It was a common technique to shape things, including armor and helmets. The armors could get broken quickly, but still be useful as a cheaper alternative to iron or steel or when the greater materials are unavailable. It could also be used to make things like rings, plates, and other simpler crafts. I think this would be a great way to use the abundant copper we can find in town to work on metalworking (forging) skill instead of just metallurgy (metalcasting).
Rias
DEV

Re: Hammered metal (copper, bronze)

Post by Rias »

To-doed!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

[#ANNOUNCEMENTS] Changelog-Metalworking: The following items can now be forged (hammered) from copper: buckle, button, hinge-piece, hoe-head, horseshoe, ingot, large metal hoop, locking-pin, nails, needle, plate, pot, tiny rod, shovel head, skillet, sling bullet, small metal hoop, spoon, stake, tongs half
Note that the value is the same as if they were cast, so it's still much more efficient to metalcast. This is more to allow more options when molds aren't available, or you need that initial item to make a mold of but don't have iron on-hand.

P.S. Still considering very low-durability hammered copper armors, but we don't even have craftable iron plate yet.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Squeak

Post by Squeak »

Necromonging an old post here;

I'm having difficulty reconciling forged bronze and would like to request that all blunt/crushing recipes be added to this workability. I can't figure out a good IC reason why I can forge hammers of all varieties all day long, but warhammers and maces are beyond the capability of shaping by hand. Same would go with larger axes, too, I suppose.

I do understand the limitations for long blades, or those things with fine edges (but why throwing-axes and knives, then? :?: ) but large masses of metal shouldn't be hard to shape into a large ball.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I'll do a sweep of the various craftables and which materials they're allowed to be forged from. It's something I tend to forget to do when introducing new metals or new craftables. Sorry! A lot more item types should probably be forge-able that currently are not. Hopefully this also addresses Karjus' concern from the random questions thread about fjelbrons, kobaltarn, etc. not stacking up to the ferrous metals because the former are currently mostly cast and not forged (hammered) and so can't get quality bonuses and the like. We may well end up with some situations that are a little goofy when compared to real-world metallurgy, but I think it's okay to put some of that aside for Game Reasons(tm).
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Per the changelog: "The item type availability for metalcasting and forging is now equal across sturdy metal types, meaning there are no longer forging item type availability restrictions for copper, bronze, fjelbrons, vilturbrons, and kobaltarn."

After discussing a bit, we decided it would be best to just have equal opportunities across all the "sturdy" metal types. There may come some little situational restrictions in the future for special metal types, but nothing at the moment made us feel we shouldn't have a level playing field between ferrous and non-ferrous when it comes to item crafting, even if it bends some real-world science a bit in the process. Enjoy those copper longswords and rapiers if you must! I can already think of one person who's probably rushing to forge up a bronze greatsword as soon as possible.

The little overhaul that was implemented to bring this about should also prevent the weirdness with some items not being forge-able or castable because they slipped through the cracks when a new material was added. That said, it was a code and data structure overhaul, so please report any bugs or oddities with the BUG command in-game.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO