Butter churning

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Rias
DEV

Butter churning

Post by Rias »

It is now possible to CHURN milk into butter. This will be useful for some upcoming cooking recipes. See the "Churn" help/wiki article for more info. (https://cogg.contrarium.net/wiki/index.php/Churn)

Yes, it's a bit simplified when compared to the real-life process. Butter churns can be purchased at Relena's General Store.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Irylia

Re: Butter churning

Post by Irylia »

Thanks for adding this! I've been enjoying playing around with it and testing things out so far. I do have a few questions and suggestions regarding the process and will probably have more later.

1) Would it be possible to add wax paper or linen scraps to the things we can store butter in? Since each milking produces many pieces of butter, it would be far easier to try and sell individual portions to the market if they could be wrapped rather than kept in more expensive earthenware or wooden items which hold far larger quantities.

2) Would it be possible to add a descriptor to distinguish between goat or cow butter? The milks are currently set differently, but the butter all comes out the same. I'm not sure if it should make a difference in taste, cost, or potential future cooking recipes, but it might be interesting if it did.

3) Since we can only milk each animal once a day, would it be possible to allow using only a portion of the milk to make butter? Something like pour all or pour half or similar might be good for those only dabbling in the trade or for keeping the market stocked to suit demand.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Irylia wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:40 am 1) Would it be possible to add wax paper or linen scraps to the things we can store butter in? Since each milking produces many pieces of butter, it would be far easier to try and sell individual portions to the market if they could be wrapped rather than kept in more expensive earthenware or wooden items which hold far larger quantities.
For now, I like that it gives some specific use to things like clay jars and the like. Remember that you can hold the jar and do SELL BUTTER QTY # and it'll sell only as many as you specify (you get to keep the jar, of course).
2) Would it be possible to add a descriptor to distinguish between goat or cow butter? The milks are currently set differently, but the butter all comes out the same. I'm not sure if it should make a difference in taste, cost, or potential future cooking recipes, but it might be interesting if it did.
To-doed!
3) Since we can only milk each animal once a day, would it be possible to allow using only a portion of the milk to make butter? Something like pour all or pour half or similar might be good for those only dabbling in the trade or for keeping the market stocked to suit demand.
Partial amount pouring to-doed. This could get tricky. In the meantime - while yes, it's kind of a hassle - you can pour the milk into a smaller container like a mug or jar, and then pour that into the butter churn for smaller amounts.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

Thanks for clarifying on point #1. I wasn't too sure how that works with multiple portions in the same container - if it would let you sell it like that - since selling butter at all wasn't working when I tried. That's definitely good information to have. I thought it would try to sell the full jar, not just count it as a regular container and sell quantities of the contents. So does that mean butter doesn't actually need a vessel of its own or does it sell as a "jar of butter"?
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Butter doesn't strictly need to be in a container. You can hold it in hand by itself, and when sold to the market it's just "some butter" by itself, no jar attached. So you can buy a single butter with no container if you're just going to hold it in hand, but you'll want a jar or something if you're going to store it somewhere or acquire/transport quantities of it.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO