Crafted items: steps, prices, skill, so forth

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Rias
DEV

Crafted items: steps, prices, skill, so forth

Post by Rias »

These changes started with my wanting to have an automated way to set prices of items - mostly craftables. The aim was to have it so that we didn't end up with end result products selling for less than the materials required to make them, and for items requiring more skill or a longer time investment to be worth more. Stuff like that.

Base market value for items that are possibly craftable (except construction items - not yet) are now based on the following:
- skill level required (falling back on recipe points for items without a skill requirement)
- price of additional required components (buckles, thread, wedges, buttons, nails, so on)
- number of steps required to craft the item (repetitions spent sewing, hammering, knitting, etc.)
- material the item is made of (this can vary - using gold for a goblet or jewelry would increase that items' value a lot, but using gold for a sword blade (impractical!), not so much)
- multiplier for bladed forged items that required tempering
- how much cloth was required for cloth items
- quality

- all the above will be considered for each attached component of multi-component items - for instance, a sword consisting of a blade, crossguard, grip, and pommel will run all the above calculations on each piece, and add them all up

Regarding metal items, things made of copper or bronze, or other materials that are cast rather than forged, are generally cheaper. Casting is super easy and quick. Forging takes a long time (and can have above-average qualities).

I still need to throw in a few other things, such as how much material was required to make items of stone/wood/metal/leather (like how cloth items consider the cost of how much cloth was required).

Also, while I was working on this, I ended up going in and doing a very quick glance over craftables and how many steps they took. A lot of things were lowered, a few were raised. Some of the sewing/leatherworking steps were a tad high. As I said, it was just a quick glance though, so if anyone notices any numbers that seem off - like the loincloth that took a ridiculous amount of sewing steps - please let me know.

Many items now have a market value that previously did not. Some are higher than before, some lower. And some pricing numbers are probably going to be weird due to being overlooked in some way. There are a lot of variables going into the calculation, and a LOT of craftable items to go over. Please report particularly egregious oddities you might notice. And please, if you see something that's clearly selling for way more than it should, don't abuse it.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Kiyaani

Re: Crafted items: steps, prices, skill, so forth

Post by Kiyaani »

Thanks for doing this!
Shaula

Post by Shaula »

Thank you so much!
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Is it intended for clay plates to no longer have a price point assigned to them? I'm not sure if this is the same for all clay goods, but as of now, I have to set prices using the consign command.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Lexx416 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:14 pm Is it intended for clay plates to no longer have a price point assigned to them? I'm not sure if this is the same for all clay goods, but as of now, I have to set prices using the consign command.
Whoops. Fixed.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

Do you have any idea when this might apply to Construction items? Is there any testing or info I can provide to help?
Ily

Post by Ily »

It seems that tanned bloodhare fur and tanned deer/elk fur both sell for 300 riln, despite the difference in size. Raw bloodhare sells for 75, and raw elk/deer for 300.
Ily

Post by Ily »

Leather goods seem to have some pricing issues. I've not tested it too terribly much, since materials are a little hard to come by, but a wide-brimmed bloodhare fur hat sells for 240 riln at market. Tanned bloodhare fur sells for 300 riln. Creating the hat out of the fur does not leave any material behind.
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

Bumping this to see if there's any information on when this might apply to Construction as wood prices have been drastically reduced by this change. Planks went from 150/75/37 to 30/3/3 as the market price is based solely on steps taken to craft an item rather than reflecting actual time/effort put into getting that item from start to finish. This is skewing prices dramatically when trying to sell constructed pieces (such as containers) or when trying to estimate price-setting for large projects. I know in CLOK processing the wood made it more valuable, not less, so I assumed something similar might be the goal for COGG and maybe it just hasn't been gotten to yet.

I understand previous price model was somewhat arbitrary and may have needed adjustment, but the current setting is vastly lower than anything else on the market. For now I've been strictly using consignment, but it would be nice to be able to better gauge if the prices I'm setting are fair. If I swindle someone, I want it to be intentional, not accidental, after all. Thanks as always for your hard work!
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Construction items are a little more complicated. Hrmm. I'll work on getting this fixed hopefully by tomorrow.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO