Generalized Patterns for Embellishment

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
jerc

Generalized Patterns for Embellishment

Post by jerc »

Right now there are only a few recipes that I'm aware of that have pattern variants - effigies, figurines, statues, etc.

It would be cool if that system of patterns was expanded to include embellishments that can be made to other items. They could all pull from the common set of patterns (where applicable).

You could <MODIFY> <ITEM> WITH <PATTERN>, where MODIFY is dependent on what type of item/craft. Tailors would EMBROIDER, leather workers could EMBOSS, metalworkers ENGRAVE or ETCH, woodworkers CARVE, etc. These would take a high degree of skill, but would add an extra bit of text to the item's short and long description.

You could even support text rather than a pattern if you provide "something in quotes." This could take your language into account and modify the description accordingly, like by showing up as giganti runes.

Want to cosplay as a real human bean? EMBOSS white leather jacket WITH scorpion. Fancy yourself a sword-wielding wizard? ENGRAVE longsword blade WITH "The Foe Hammer".

Craftmarks could then be a specialization of this system. Rather than some abstract "brand," they could be just another pattern that's exclusive to an individual. Since it would show up in the short description, it's free advertising! And maybe each guild/society gets access to extra patterns just for them, so they could gate access to their insignias.

This might also warrant another MODIFY option to display/hide embellishments. Could get crazy it everything someone is wearing has it's maker's mark embroidered on it.

In addition to embellishments, it would also be great to see more base recipes that take a pattern argument, e.g. pendants, fancy-shaped belt buckles, brooches, brocade cloth, etc.
Last edited by jerc on Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gorth

Re: Generalized Patterns for Embellishment

Post by Gorth »

I like this thought, particularly as I tend to find, perhaps my fault, that sometimes my character's craftmarks aren't something I wqould want to put on every single item that I would still want to mark. I'm all for more agency on item customization.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.