Woodcutting skill gets access to a few more existing recipes

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Rias
DEV

Woodcutting skill gets access to a few more existing recipes

Post by Rias »

Per the (combined) changelog: The following wood items can now be crafted via the Woodcutting skill: long hewn timber, long planks, medium planks, short planks, block, tiny wedges, skewer, whittled spear, stake, cudgel, bark sheet

I figured woodcutters would be able to do some of this basic woodcutty stuff without official Woodworking training, and pick up a few little things like the whittled spear, cudgel, and tiny wedges.

If anyone has ideas to further flesh out the Woodcutting skill, let me know! It doesn't just have to be recipes.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Dennis

Re: Woodcutting skill gets access to a few more existing recipes

Post by Dennis »

Huzzah!

I have a bunch of general wood related suggestions since the floor is open.

Time things:
It would be nice if woodcutters could estimate the time it takes to remove branches, much like they can with felling a tree. Moreso than any of the other crafts, woodcutting is highly time consuming so being confident that we can finish a job in a timely manner is nice.

Adding in a mechanical sawmill to the sawmill would help woodcutters greatly along with processing. The whole process is high on time consumption to start with, manually turning logs into hewn timbers adds an additional significant chunk of time to the overall experience. Comparatively it also ruins good tools really fast. I think the log push from the previous iteration is fine but I'm also open to a more streamlined "Just pay to convert log to long hewn timber" experience. I think I mentioned a lack of tinder outside of foraging, so some tinder generation in this process would be nice as well.

Tools and Products
Being able to use a sledgehammer plus chopping wedges instead of a bitted axe for felling progression would be a neat change of pace and give sledgehammers more than just destruction. Well, I guess felling trees is destruction. This could be a cool alternate way to felling trees. Maybe it could distribute the damage moreso onto woodworked items instead of the metalcrafted item, thereby diversifying the techniques used by players.

Statue making! I think of, like, lumberjack sports here. If woodcutters were able to cut logs into rough statues, that would be a cool feature for furnishing. Woodworkers could trim a rough statue into its final form, so it would introduce that level of partnership whereby a woodcutter gets a log from 0 to 50% completion and the woodworker finishes it off. I imagine fine bear statue on your lawn. Garden gnomes!

A unique woodcutter shop with special tools or craftables would be a nice addition. Instead of looking at it from a material perspective, things that can be interacted with during the felling process could be in the store (or added to craftables). This would be things like a two-man saw that can be held and used only in a group of 2 or more. Different ways to interact with different sized trees.

This is less woodcutting and more just general forestry, but I would LOVE to tap a large or massive tree for its syrup, or even find unique tappable trees in the world instead of felling them. It could be a "time of year" activity instead of year-round and you would tie in multiple professions from cooking to woodworking and construction. You could tap a tree, hang a bucket and for a time of year you could get a few barrels of sap to boil down to a few buckets of syrup. I think for additive ingredients, like butter, syrup, honey, you could apply it to a food item for morale increases.
"Always remember that we are a community before anything else. Before being a 'game' or a 'world' we are a bunch of folk who get together to have fun."