Tailoring/Weaving

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Rias
DEV

Re: Tailoring/Weaving

Post by Rias »

Irylia wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:15 am Would it be possible to allow characters to sit while sewing?
It is now sew.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

It seems there might be more tailors around lately so it might be a decent time to review the code to come more in line with other professions or to potentially be reworked using any of the suggestions in this thread. Currently the cutting phase has a flat (and sometimes very long) roundtime (similar to how construction used to be) rather than multiple practice-awarding steps. The "steps" part of the sewing phase doesn't actually show steps being performed and seems inconsistent with the item being made - some small projects have many more steps than large ones, though maybe there is some logic behind it I'm not following. There are also concerns with pricing of things depending on if you start from base wool or if you have to purchase materials, amount of time spent in getting through each phase to make a single garment from scratch, etc. Basically, as-is, the skill is very slow to level and a bit unrewarding compared to others. Any kind of work on tailoring, and the other professions using the older system (leatherworking for one), would be very much appreciated.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Irylia wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:48 pm The "steps" part of the sewing phase doesn't actually show steps being performed
There's a slight energy cost per repetition now, so that should give you an indication that the auto-repeating is going.
and seems inconsistent with the item being made - some small projects have many more steps than large ones, though maybe there is some logic behind it I'm not following.
Examples would be great.
There are also concerns with pricing of things
I think the crux of this issue was how long it took to spin wool into thread and yarn. The number of steps for this been decreased dramatically, so the value of thread and yarn should now be roughly in line with the value of most other craftables that have values calculated by how long they take to produce.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

Thanks for the updates lately.

Since you asked for examples:

A dress takes 12 steps to craft. A loincloth, which I would think would be less material to have to stitch, takes 10 - which is almost the same.
A loose shirt takes 40 steps, but a blouse takes 30, and a tunic takes 20. They should be the same I would think - they have the same material costs.
A body towel and a blanket both take 8, but the blanket should be considerably larger than a towel I would hope.
A belt comes in at a whopping 30 steps.
A cape takes 8 steps, as does a poncho, but a cloak takes 20.

I could be misinterpreting where hemming or binding seams on these items is taking place to make some have different numbers of steps for same type items. It just struck me as odd how some of them are so different from each other and things like belts and pouches take more steps than far larger projects. At first I thought it might be based on how much cloth is used, but the steps, thread required, and cloth required all seem to be unrelated. If that's just how it is because we're envisioning different things, then that's totally fine. I just wanted to bring it up in case it wasn't intentional.

The reason I think it's important to review this is higher-material cost projects should probably give more practice/experience than simpler projects but that might not always be the case with the steps being this varied.
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

Would it be possible to make it so that wool doesn't lose its properties as it goes from one stage to the next. It starts out as rabbit, alpaca, sheep, etc. but once it's spun into thread or yarn it just becomes <color> wool. Since some wool types are meant to have different properties or value than others, it would be neat if they retained their specific animal quality when transitioning and if projects required someone to use same-type or if mixing, that that showed something else as well - a rabbit wool coat, a sheep wool shirt, a mixed sheep and alpaca wool longcoat, or whatever. This way these different kinds of wool can remain unique and it would allow for future implementation of price differences, possible protection levels, or warmth variation.

Thanks for all the work on this lately!
nobody

Post by nobody »

Irylia wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:54 pm Would it be possible to make it so that wool doesn't lose its properties as it goes from one stage to the next. It starts out as rabbit, alpaca, sheep, etc. but once it's spun into thread or yarn it just becomes <color> wool. Since some wool types are meant to have different properties or value than others, it would be neat if they retained their specific animal quality when transitioning and if projects required someone to use same-type or if mixing, that that showed something else as well - a rabbit wool coat, a sheep wool shirt, a mixed sheep and alpaca wool longcoat, or whatever. This way these different kinds of wool can remain unique and it would allow for future implementation of price differences, possible protection levels, or warmth variation.

Thanks for all the work on this lately!
The items do retain their animal fiber property. It drops off the item names, but examining the thread, cloth, or clothing item will reveal that it is mainly made of sheep wool, rabbit wool, etc.
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

My main concern was the visual indicator so people can tell easily by looking or sort in the market by keyword if they want clothing from a specific animal type or with specific attributes, but I could have worded that better - good call.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Weaving and tracing sewing patterns now require that all the cloth/thread/yarn be of the same animal type and color.
Irylia wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:54 pm Would it be possible to make it so that wool doesn't lose its properties as it goes from one stage to the next. It starts out as rabbit, alpaca, sheep, etc. but once it's spun into thread or yarn it just becomes <color> wool.
I've done a mass update to existing items to put an indicator of the animal type into their short and long descriptions. Keep in mind that there are still some items out there produced from before animal types were retained upon shearing/sewing/weaving, so those will remain simply "wool" without the animal type. You can tell if an item doesn't have any animal type data by examining it and noting whether it says, for example "mainly made of sheep wool", or just "mainly made of wool". In the latter case, there's no animal type data and so it can't be updated.

If you have an item that -does- have the animal type data when examined, but doesn't show it in the short description, you should be able to use the MODIFY ANIMAL command while holding it in you right hand to toggle it back in there. You can also do this to toggle the animal type off in the short description, if you for whatever reason do not want it to show.

I'm still going through and finding/updating templates to put the animal type descriptor in by default upon creation.

As always, please report any issues or anomalies with the BUG command in-game, or in this BBS thread.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

Can we get a line in recipes saying whether or not items are open/close-able and if they have pockets? I mention both because some items with pockets can't be closed and some can. It would also be nice to know if an item can be worn over or under armor or if armor would prevent it from being worn at all. I guess worn slot might help with that.

Thanks!
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Examine now specifically notes closeable containers, and recipe info now shows the full examination output of a sample of that item type. Enjoy!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO