Thoughts on forging

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Shaula

Thoughts on forging

Post by Shaula »

First of all, it's fun. It's exciting to learn the recipes and make items better than the copper items for sale in town. The process can be a little intimidating, but ends up rewarding when you complete something.

It would be nice if hammering was on auto repeat like other crafts.

Some items seem like they shouldn't take so long. Making something simple like a thin bar is taking a really long time, when it's just going to be made into something else. I think the intermediary step items, that aren't complicated, should take a lot less time.

Would there be any way to have a private storage you can rent in the workyard? I want to put my forging hammer and tongs and other tools like that in there, instead of bringing them back and forth between my vault.

I'm a little worried about having everything in the same space. The anvil, the forge, the furnace, I can see people mixing up each others items.

Thank you for making these crafting systems. I have enjoyed it so far, and it has been giving me steady experience. I am already falling in love with this character.
Rias
DEV

Re: Thoughts on forging

Post by Rias »

The auto-repeating and storage space are on the to-do list. The shared space concern has been brought up before about crafting in general - not really sure how to address it, but I'm open to ideas.

And as was announced earlier, the steps for things like metal bars have been reduced significantly.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Shaula

Post by Shaula »

Here are some thoughts on forging that would take some changes, but make it both safer and slightly more convenient. Your stuff stays in your inventory the whole time, but the messages say what's being done with it.

Instead of putting your metal items into the forge and waiting, you HEAT ITEM instead. It stays in your backpack, but the game says, "Using your tongs, you set your item in the forge and wait for it to get red-hot." The item becomes red-hot and can't be handled normally. You can now HAMMER ITEM and while it remains in your backpack, the message says "Using your tongs, you hold your item steady on the anvil and hammer at it." When it's time to cool the item you type COOL ITEM and the message says "Using your tongs, you dip your item into the quenching trough, causing steam to billow forth from the water." The whole time your item has actually stayed in your backpack, so you don't have to worry about losing it, or someone else taking it from the forge or anvil or trough, or worry about mixing up your item with someone else's that is also being worked on somewhere in the forge, because their items will stay in their inventory.
Shaula

Post by Shaula »

One more thing, should it really be necessary to hammer the bloom into the right kind of bar first, and then hammer the bar into an item? Why can't we just hammer the item directly from the bloom?
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I do like the ideas for lessening mix-ups between smiths, which I'm sure will be an issue if we ever have several smiths in the same workshop. I don't like the idea of keeping red-hot items in a backpack (or most other containers) though, so I might see if I can figure out a way to have something like private, instanced workbenches within the workshop instead.

As far as the necessity of making bars first, and then those bars into items - I don't know, I think it's kind of a cool part of the process, just to kind of help convey that feeling that you're going through these stages of taking an amorphous blob of metal and ending up with a specific, finely-honed piece of work.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Shaula

Post by Shaula »

That makes sense, it's mostly the having to make the right kind of bar part, instead of just making a bar that can be used for anything. But it's not a big thing, I've loved forging, so thank you for it!
Shaula

Post by Shaula »

Will we be able to etch or engrave words into items? I just finished my first sword, and I was thinking how great it would be to engrave something into the blade in Giganti.
Shaula

Post by Shaula »

Bump for private storage of some kind. I had a lot of iron left in the forge last time I worked, and this morning all that was left was a tiny impure bloom which I think has been there since before I started smithing. I know it's on me for leaving it in a public place, but that's hours of work gone, and it's very discouraging.