Bugfix: Steel can no longer be made with charcoal

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Rias
DEV

Bugfix: Steel can no longer be made with charcoal

Post by Rias »

A bug was just fixed that was allowing steel to be made with charcoal instead of coal. I'm aware that there is real-world steelmaking utilizing charcoal, and I'm sure this will be a somewhat controversial fix. It was never the intent to make steel in-game with charcoal however, as the coal requirement made steel deliberately more difficult to acquire. Allowing steel to be made with charcoal, which is extremely common and very easy and risk-free to acquire in vast quantities, would mean we'd have to rebalance (read: reduce) the stats of steel for game design purposes, as well as figure out how that might affect the stats of bronze, which should be inferior to steel yet would be harder to acquire as it's only available far away and requires going into a mine that is occasionally taken over by hostiles and will be a faction-contested CvC resource point.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Marcuson

Re: Bugfix: Steel can no longer be made with charcoal

Post by Marcuson »

I didn't realize this was a bug, or I would have reported it. Like you said, steel can be made with charcoal in real life, so I thought the chance to make steel while processing iron ore was an intended gameplay mechanic. Sorry about that.

I do agree with the rationale behind the rarity of steel - though it's a minor frustration that only characters from August of 2020 will now have access to steel. (I'm hoping coal will eventually be implemented as one of those CvC resources, though, so it's not too terribly frustrating.)
Rias
DEV

Re: Bugfix: Steel can no longer be made with charcoal

Post by Rias »

We've got a coal mine all ready to be popped into the world, so expect it very soon!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO