Pottery accomodations

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Rias
DEV

Pottery accomodations

Post by Rias »

Potters should have access to everything they need now.

- The Clayworks in the Shadgard West Shelf area, where one can go to learn the Pottery skill and associated recipes
- Areas of the Bluestem Plains Trail are now tagged as sandy, where potters can DIG SAND (bring a shovel and bucket) to be used in SHAPE-ing clay.
- The riverbanks running parallel to the Old Kaldrgate Highway are now suitable environments to DIG CLAY.

Remember: In addition to making various mundane items like bowls, plates, cups, jugs and the like, pottery is particularly useful for making clay molds of other items, which can then be used in metalcasting.

Type HELP POTTERY in-game or check out the wiki article at https://cogg.contrarium.net/wiki/index.php/Pottery for help on how to use the Pottery skill.

Also, if anyone has suggestions for additional pottery recipes and applications, feel free to post them in this thread.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Lexx416

Re: Pottery accomodations

Post by Lexx416 »

I was giving pottery a try today, and couldn't get it to work! I have a bucket of sand and a bucket of clay in the clayworks room, but when I try to SHAPE anything, I get told I need X amount of tempered clay. How do we combine the temper and clay to get to that part?
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Okay, the "tempered clay" recipe is now available (1 recipe point). It requires 3 sand and 10 chunks of clay, and has no drying period.

It's probably kind of goofy that you "shape" the tempered clay, but that's the general pottery command, so it works for now.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
alila

Post by alila »

Hi, recipe ideas!
Beads, buttons (are ceramic buttons possible?), tiles and tablets that can be written on before drying (maybe with possible occult uses, too), tiling for floors and bricks for walls if you ever plan on building-making being possible, urns, maybe handles for brushes, figurines, statues, sculptures, maybe a mortar and pestle, masks that maybe can be elaborated upon with other crafts, ceramic canisters for primitive explosives because Wikipedia says Greek fire was stored in ceramic and glass jars (unless you would rather this be a secret explosive recipe if at all somewhere else instead of only a pottery thing and it only requires a clay jar), cooking tools like a cookie sheet because who doesn't love cookies...
That might be everything I can think of for now!
But also I thought it could be interesting if you could wet clay with different substances, like blood for creepy rituals, or find special kinds of sand for special ceramics. I'm not sure how well that might work in real life so feel free to ignore this if it seems silly.
Thank you,
-Alila
;)
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Thanks for the ideas, there are some good ones in there that have been to-doed. I'm always happy to get more crafting suggestions to add to our recipe lists.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Valmorian

Post by Valmorian »

could we be able to use nearby lakes and rivers for tempered clay there is water right there and sense it doesn't need to dry it would make it a lot easier to carry back with you.
What about enchanted clay. you could have charms on necklaces that give you small bonus to stealth or resistance to attack, maybe even alow down how hungry you get, perhaps someone could drain there nurrishment and put it in a charm that can then give it to who ever wears it. It would likely take a lot out of you and couldn't just eat a bunch of food and try it again. Or you could make a tiny figure that could scout a few rooms ahead of you, and you could use it to see if there are any traps. It would likely get destroyed by the first either really dumb or really smart creature that saw it as a threat.
Same idea for lasting lights. Perhaps it slowly converts your energy into light, for emergencies
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Valmorian wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:24 am could we be able to use nearby lakes and rivers for tempered clay there is water right there and sense it doesn't need to dry it would make it a lot easier to carry back with you.
Clay found out in the wilderness isn't tempered. The tempering process is the addition of water AND sand in specific proportions so it doesn't crack during the drying or baking process
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Valmorian

Post by Valmorian »

I know, but it doesn't seem to be more than wet shaped and combind clay. but we can't shape tempered clay at the river even though it doesn't have to dry
kaede

Post by kaede »

Recipe ideas:
Cooking pot,clay bricks.
Clay containers, uncovered ones of course like future jewelry boxes.