Crafting recipes and qualities

Because there are too many crafting/profession skills for each to have its own forum.
Rias
DEV

Crafting recipes and qualities

Post by Rias »

Crafting now requires recipes. Recipes may have minimum skill requirements, and can take up varying amounts of recipe points. How many points one can spend on recipes is determined by their associated skill level. The resulting quality of a crafted item is based on character skill vs the recipe's difficulty.

So for example: If I have 200 Tailoring skill, I have 200 points to spend on tailoring recipes. A scarf recipe might cost 5 points, while a fancy dress might cost 25. Additionally, the scarf doesn't have any minimum skill requirement. The fancy dress has a minimum requirement of 400 Tailoring skill in order to learn it. The quality of crafting is based on that recipe's difficulty. So if you have, say, only 10 Tailoring skill - fear not, your scarves will not be terrible until you grind that up into the hundreds. The scarf item is simple and easy to make, so you don't have to invest tons of skillpoints into Tailoring in order to start producing quality scarves. On the other hand, recipes with a higher difficulty rating require increasingly more skill over their base difficulty to produce higher-quality versions of.

Recipe availability will vary. Common recipes are available in any training room that teaches their associated skill. Other recipes may be findable in loot drops. Yet other recipes might only be taught in certain rooms - potentially guild- or society-exclusive ones, while others might just be in some out-of-the-way places in order to require some travel and exploration to acquire them. Yet other recipes might be given as rewards for certain events or "quests". All sorts of possibilities here.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

(A similar system will apply to acquiring knowledge of occult glyphs and the like.)
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Kiyaani

Re: Crafting recipes and qualities

Post by Kiyaani »

This is really cool and I like the idea behind having both skill and points to ensure quality and practice go hand in hand. I have questions though. What if you use up all your recipe points and new stuff is released or found or awarded from events - or you just decide you don't like a certain recipe anymore or it no longer fits your character? Are you able to unlearn a recipe or otherwise free up points to make room?
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

I feel like being able to unlearn recipes at will would defeat the purpose of the limitations put into place, but maybe a one-time opportunity to unlearn when new recipes are released. Alternatively, unlearning a recipe could just take a ridiculously long amount of real-world time to discourage its abuse.

If a large amount of recipes are released for any particular category, it might be worth considering a tweak to the points that existing recipes take up in order to make room for them.

As of right now, though: No ability to unlearn recipes. If a cool new recipe comes out and you're all full, invest more skill points into the related skill.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Maybe an occult way to free up recipe points? Could be a mental kind of occult power or ritual, or if you didn't want PCs able to do that, make it an NPC service only. Could have a risk of impacting morale and sanity?

PS: I dig the overall idea of limiting recipes.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

I dig, so far, the concept of recipe limitations. There seems to be plenty of room to learn whatever we want to. I've learned almost every bushcraft thing available currently, and I don't think I'm too close to my cap. However, the interactions with the RECIPE command could use some improvement. Specifically, I'm thinking that typing RECIPE on its own should produce a list of options. IE: RECIPE LIST, RECIPE KNOWN, RECIPE LEARN <TARGET>, etc. That way, we can see what recipes we know away from Recipe rooms/objects, as well as tell exactly how much of our recipe cap is used up.
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Shaula

Post by Shaula »

Being able to see our known recipes and recipe cap anywhere would be nice.
Irylia

Post by Irylia »

I'm curious if the quality portion of this is in already aside from going from terrible (unsaleable) to average (able to be sold). I haven't noticed anything of higher quality yet so I'm just not sure. Most of the wood things I make are just "rough" or have no quality at all when examining them so it's hard to tell.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Above-average qualities aren't attainable yet. I'm still trying to iron out how I want the numbers to work.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO