Khaldean race article

Discuss the various peoples and cultures of the land.
Rias
DEV

Khaldean race article

Post by Rias »

We now have a helpfile/wiki article on the Khaldeans! Click here for the wiki article or type HELP KHALDEAN in-game.

Please let me know if any "common knowledge" info is missing from it or if there's anything anyone wants to know more about regarding the Khaldeans. I tend to write these things as my thoughts flow and I often end up leaving gaps due to that flow or because I forget that sometimes information is in my head or on the BBS but hasn't actually been included in the article.

Sorry for not naming/describing the Seven Cities yet! It's something I've fretted over for quite some time and it was holding up the release of the article, so I figured it was best to release now and fill those particular details in soon(tm).

Some might be a little surprised at the lack of atheistic feel for our science enthusiast nation, but keep in mind that this is a world in which supernatural power and beings adept in/associated with such things are clearly present and verifiable. It'd be a pretty big wilful ignorance move for the Khaldeans to deny the existence of all that kind of stuff. And as a bonus, dedicating attention and devotion to the Immortals is a nice way to spite the Nuum.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Teri

Re: Khaldean race article

Post by Teri »

Sweet, that was neat to read!
I can't stop myself from asking about export imports if anything notable comes to mind. My train of thought was given the landscape and mention of botanists, do the Khealdeans have some awesome greenhouses built? And I can't remember for naming schemes if they have last names or not. I figured maybe not because the Nuum don't, but always forgot to ask that question.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

Always neat to see more of those, thank you!
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Teri wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:47 am do the Khealdeans have some awesome greenhouses built? And I can't remember for naming schemes if they have last names or not.
I don't know enough about greenhouses to know how one would be more awesome than the other, so I'd have to look into that a bit. Probably though! If there are ways to improve growing, particularly in less-than-idea conditions, the Khaldeans have probably figured out some of those tricks!

Khaldeans do have surnames.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

As an afterthought:

The grummers were mentioned vaguely in the FAQ - I don't remember seeing any info on them in this new article, but expanding on what happened during that civil war might be enlightening.

Also, it's briefly mentioned that one of their achievements was that they invented the Common language. How is that so? It's spoken in other areas, apart from Khaldea, and not just in big trade hubs, either. Is it based on other pre-existing languages?
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
Teri

Post by Teri »

Let me preface this sorry, my nerd interest in life is about water conservation and this is a ramble. My greenhouse thoughts were along the lines of the Nuum has access to the underground aquifer in one city and Iuunet has constant rains due to occult/gods? (I was curious what rain shelters meant in those regards to to) I envision the Khaldeans with steam power could not only be good at recycling the water they potentially have, would be able to grow crops year round in greenhouses and hydroponics with more efficiency with science and advances in fertilizer as a professional science-y challenge to the Nuum and Qetennu.

The surplus food would also be something that allows them fill basic needs of food to every citizen. Depending on where they are with sciences, my brain went to this article on the history of greenhouses https://medium.com/@MarkCrumpacker/a-lo ... f301162a7b As the Khaldeans also created riversteel they also probably have access to other alloys that typically allowed greenhouses to be lighter with less rusting like aluminum, which became more common production wise the end of 1800's.

With steam power and pipes, I am curious about infrastructure within Khaldea in regard to plumbing as well. The Khaldeans look to Naia for managing sources of freshwater, and I would consider water treatment and not polluting part of that and depending on infrastructure water recycling and water usage. https://www.conserve-energy-future.com/ ... ywater.php
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time