Immortals questions

Discussion of religion and the Immortals.
ocayucos

Immortals questions

Post by ocayucos »

Will immortals be more active than in CLOK?

Will we have opportunities to somehow officially dedicate our character to an immortal?

Are people usually more polytheistic or is it okay to be dedicated to a single immortal in particular?

Are there any big changes to the sea immortals? (Vodr, Nereia, Naia, Verungnr)
Rias
DEV

Re: Immortals questions

Post by Rias »

ocayucos wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:27 am Will immortals be more active than in CLOK?
They may have a bit more of a presence in general.
Will we have opportunities to somehow officially dedicate our character to an immortal?
Like some mechanical way to say "hey, my character is dedicated to this immortal?" Maybe. Could be useful for GMs to be able to know which characters are dedicated to which Immortals by just looking at that data, but actions speak louder than words and all that.
Are people usually more polytheistic or is it okay to be dedicated to a single immortal in particular?
I think it's perfectly believable and acceptable for some people to be more focused in their attention or dedication to specific Immortals. I can't imagine anyone doing it to the point of not believing the other Immortals exist, though. I don't think there are any that are mutually exclusive or anything. The whole Bogvaskr/Rami thing is the closest things come to that, and that's more a semantics matter in the end, anyway.
Are there any big changes to the sea immortals? (Vodr, Nereia, Naia, Verungnr)
Nope, they're pretty much the same Immortals you already know.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Fayne

Post by Fayne »

Any chance we could get some more info on how Huec see some of the more conventional Immortals? I've always been hesitant to talk about any non-Huec-specific deities on any traditional Huec characters simply because I'm not sure how they'd view them.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

The articles on Aphraen, Bogvaskr, Naia, and Undm have little bits about how the Huecs view them.

Aranas is pretty universal in its representation - the Huecs would see it as the aspect of Toteoh that deals with fear, intimidation, deceit, and probably the broader concept of beings feeding on other beings in order to become stronger.

Malfant is of course the aspect of Toteoh that is concerned with secret lore, lost knowledge, and mysteries.

The Blood God fits right in as the Huecs have always been into human sacrifice.

But yeah, I want to go over many of the Immortals articles and convert them to the newer format that gives info about how they're viewed in different cultures.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Rastaban

Post by Rastaban »

Will there be more immortals than we know of on the wiki page at the moment?
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Yes, there will be a fair few added. Spoiler alert: One is Iarel the Serpent Queen, particularly important in Constantian/Viali and Nuumic culture.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Candelori

Post by Candelori »

You may consider me intrigued.
My COGG website: https://candelori.neocities.org
You think to yourself, "I am tempted to henceforth refer to this as the Bicker Board."
You experience a sudden flash of insight, as though you have an increased understanding of who you are.
Lexx416

Post by Lexx416 »

Is there a general consensus as to when Vodr was "lost"? Was this in living memory? Recorded memory?
"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods... Remnants of an older time they be, living few and secretly, wild and wary as beasts."
Bonehead

Post by Bonehead »

I have a question about Verungnr! It seems like it is seen as a sort of horrible negative deity, but who likes chomping down on evil. Are there any other cultural views on it, spicy tidbits you feel like sharing?
Wut?
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Lexx416 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:14 pm Is there a general consensus as to when Vodr was "lost"? Was this in living memory? Recorded memory?
A very long time ago - the stuff of ancient legends. Many - particularly the Faewyr - insist some portion of his spirit/soul/influence remains, but that his "death" caused him to lose most of his sort of cohesiveness as an individually-willed entity. I should update his wiki page.
Bonehead wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:53 pm I have a question about Verungnr! It seems like it is seen as a sort of horrible negative deity, but who likes chomping down on evil. Are there any other cultural views on it, spicy tidbits you feel like sharing?
I don't know that I'd say negative, but certainly dangerous, scary, and to be avoided at all costs. It actually gets some positive press for the evil-chomping you mentioned, despite all that. I don't have anything else to share at the moment that isn't already on its wiki page, but now you all have got me pondering Immortals stuff, so I'll let you know if I end up updating that.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO