Draumfeldr, the Cloak of Dreams shrouding Tyr-Gwyrd

General discussion about the world and lore of COGG.
Rias
DEV

Draumfeldr, the Cloak of Dreams shrouding Tyr-Gwyrd

Post by Rias »

We never seem to learn too much about those Faewyr and their homeland of Tyr-Gwyrd. While I do plan to release a more informative article on the Faewyr, here's the reason why they and their island homelands are so mysterious:

https://cogg.contrarium.net/wiki/index.php/Draumfeldr
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Avedri

Re: Draumfeldr, the Cloak of Dreams shrouding Tyr-Gwyrd

Post by Avedri »

With regards to the forgetting - it's just like secrets and details of the land or anything they experience while there?

Do the those who get the curse of foreign soil ever blame Malfant for taking those memories or do they still recall the cloak?

Is the curse ever used as a form of punishment? Like would they take some miscreants out and push them on foreign soil?

Are there any positive reasons someone would choose to leave?

What are the major trade goods for Tyr-Gwyrd?
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

With regards to the forgetting - it's just like secrets and details of the land or anything they experience while there?
They don't forget everything, but they tend to be hazy on particulars and details. Players can assume anything on the wiki is information someone passing through Draumfeldr could remember. Players are also at their leisure to have their characters forget even those things as well, though, if they want.
Do the those who get the curse of foreign soil ever blame Malfant for taking those memories or do they still recall the cloak?
Having set foot on foreign soil and thus being considered a foreigner just means they'll suffer the same effects a foreigner would if they ever attempt to return back to Tyr-Gwyrd (that is to say, they won't be able to find their way back). Their forgetfulness would get worse upon coming within the influence of Draumfeldr, rather than be lifted. But as a more general concept - I could see some people conceivably blaming Malfant for the memory loss if it gets to such a point that they've forgotten about the concept of Draumfeldr entirely. I imagine that'd be quite rare, but that doesn't mean it can't work as a character backstory concept or something like that.
Is the curse ever used as a form of punishment? Like would they take some miscreants out and push them on foreign soil?
It's a pretty great way to exile people, yeah. Relatively long and expensive trip, though, so not overly common. Perfectly suitable for character backstories though - not a bad way to explain why one's Faewyr PC from Tyr-Gwyrd ended up in the Lost Lands.
Are there any positive reasons someone would choose to leave?
I imagine it's uncommon, but by no means unheard of for Faewyr to leave and set foot on foreign soil on their own initiative. Wanting to explore or settle other lands, be free to live their own way rather than the traditional Faewyr way, set up some kind of embassy or trade site on foreign soil, any other typical reason someone might leave their homeland, really. They can't go back to Tyr-Gwyrd again, but that doesn't necessarily make them become viewed as pariahs or undesirables by the people back home.
What are the major trade goods for Tyr-Gwyrd?
I'll have to give this some thought. Are you asking what they would export to other lands, or import from other lands, or both?
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Avedri

Post by Avedri »

To me it seems even more dangerous than normal seafaring in the sense that there's more ways than just death that could have you never making it home. So I'm curious as to what is either important enough to ship off the island to simulate their economy or important enough to bring back that people would risk that consistently.

Also thank you so much for the info.