Vague historical timeline

General discussion about the world and lore of COGG.
nobody

Vague historical timeline

Post by nobody »

TLDR: Help me organize a timeline that references eras rather than years

I've been trying to wrap my head around some of the history lore in COGG, and I know many people struggle with creating internally consistent timelines (insert Avatar the Last Airbender reference here), so I wanted to put together a vague chronology with my guesses of when things roughly happened for all the known major historical events. My guesses are probably not great, so I'd love feedback (from anyone who is immersed in the lore, but also especially from Rias). The flow is oldest to most recent, with items in the same bullet happening "around the same time." I would also love some help catagorizing the ages/eras better.

Age of myth
- Mountain Father and other giants shape the world, Vodr shapes the world via controling storms and seas
- Iarel creates mankind, Toteo creates the Huecatn, the Mountain Father carves the Giganti, then pursues creating perfect beings.
- Toteo creates Tatlhuecatn and carries the Huecatn there, and is sundered, Teonanacatl is awakened. Vodr dies.
- Giganti divide into first ten tribes. Weak Giganti leave Arad and become Faewyr (according to Giganti), Faewyr saved by wolves (according to Faewyr).

Age of ancient history
- Nu finds City of the Gods, founds Nuum
- Ascension of Kebyet
- Resen spreads and Tatlhuecatn is divided
- Nuum forsake old gods
- Faewyr travel to Arad from Tyr-Gwyrd, Aetgard founded
- ? Bald hill catacombs built ?
- Ammun unites Nuum
- Hopta do Hopta stuff

Age of recorded (ish) history
- Fasa welcome Viali to Arad from Constantia, Welcomers treaty
- Rhun's rebellion, Tol Rhun formed, ascension of Amon-Rhun
- Hopta mysteriously (not mysteriously) vanish
- Khaldea formed
- Library of Qamar built, Shadgard established
- King Gudleifr, Sifa's exodus, Lapis established
- Hillfolk sail to Parr isles
- Aetgard falls
- Emberlight burns, ? bald hill catacombs overrun ?

Age of recent history
- Plague ravages Lost Lands, quarantine wall built
- Ascension of Destiny Owleyes, Jonathan Crowhaven, and the Pumpkin King?
- New Emberlight burns, and is rebuilt
- Infested, nethrim, and canim activity increases in Lost Lands (+dunwyr? +bandits?), Dusklamp and Tarueka fall
- Mistveil Dominion formed, Republic of Exiles formed
- Caer Ioan founded

Current age
- New Emberlight joins and leaves Republic of Exiles
- Dominion founds Blackwater logging camp
- Liberi gather and overtake many ruins
Last edited by nobody on Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Marcuson

Re: Vague historical timeline

Post by Marcuson »

I'd just like to say this timeline is awesome, Nobody, and I really appreciate your effort in making it. Here are some other things I thought about that we might add to it:

Ascension of former mortals.
Founding of Caer Ioan.
The first Undying are discovered.
nobody

Re: Vague historical timeline

Post by nobody »

Marcuson wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:50 pm I'd just like to say this timeline is awesome, Nobody, and I really appreciate your effort in making it. Here are some other things I thought about that we might add to it:

Ascension of former mortals.
Founding of Caer Ioan.
The first Undying are discovered.
Thank you, I mostly put it together to try to puzzle out ordering of events, get others' opinions on it, and maybe get Rias to correct my wild speculation.

My guesses on those are Ascensions belong in late myth or early ancient history and Caer Ioan as late recent history or in current age. No clue at all on first undying. Maaaybe age of myth or ancient history, maybe recent history. We know undying are supposed to be rare, like most people do not personally know an undying rare (I think), so even in Shadgard it would be hearsay if not for the pendants (which are uncommon in usage if not rare). And the trouble with stuff that is very rare is that it is easily dismissed by skeptical scholars and difficult to verify when it's not outright dismissed. So, the oldest reports of people defying death are probably very old, but were they undying? But, you've inspired a good question for another post.