A Rogue's Journey to Literacy

Give your fellow roleplayers some kudos.
Frisbee

A Rogue's Journey to Literacy

Post by Frisbee »

As someone who’s relatively new to roleplaying, sitting down and planning a character’s backstory and personality upon or before its creation isn’t instinctive for me. Instead, I usually just wing it as I go. I realise this is completely and utterly backwards and I apologise if it’s had a negative impact on any sort of roleplay I’ve been a part of so far. Anyway, all this to say, when I was making the character whom most of you have come to know as Sarah, I was not planning for her to be illiterate. Indeed, I don’t know what made me throw in that particular detail later on. Whatever the reason might have been, I never imagined that her inability to read and write would create so many opportunities for rp this engaging. I decided to make this post in order to extend my thanks to those of you who have been awesome enough to participate in said rp.
Firstly, I’d like to acknowledge some people who have taken the time to express interest in my character’s studies, namely Roen, Maya, Cordelia, Suzy, Charlae and possibly a few others that I’m forgetting off the top of my head. The conversations that I’ve had with all of you regarding this subject have been really cool and your characters have been sweet and supportive about it all.
Secondly, a huge shoutout to Avan for being ever so helpful with explaining the pictures and procuring writing materials. I’ve always been a fan of your elaborate long-form emoting and I wish I could do it as well as you.
Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, I’d like to thank Taliaferro, for all the time, energy and thought he is putting into teaching my girl to read and write. My dude, you are AMAZING, in every sense of the word, and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. I don’t know if you are a teacher OOC or what, if yes I am sure that is helping, as is your extensive knowledge on print culture, spelling conventions and all that. However, there is so much more than that here. First of all, I really, really appreciate how considerate you are regarding my OOC visual impairment, and how that could make things trickier for me. I am sure we are both doing our best here, and I am sorry if it ever causes any issues. On a similar vein, thanks for putting up with my mediocre English skills and not judging the stupid mistakes I occasionally make, and again, my sincerest apologies if that is making things more challenging. On the IC side of things, I am constantly amazed at how deeply this guy cares about his friends, and my character specifically, and how patient, understanding and sweet he is. Viewing things from his perspective is also very interesting. I know that being a schoolmaster isn’t exactly within his comfort zone, but I hope, for his sake, that he’s enjoying it, at least a tiny bit.
I was initially on the fence about posting now, mainly because this is very much ongoing, however I eventually figured there’s no harm in going ahead with it. Essentially, I just wanted to let you all know that you are awesome. I am looking forward to seeing where this goes. I hope you can join me in finding that out.
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
Taliaferro

Re: A Rogue's Journey to Literacy

Post by Taliaferro »

You really made my day with this post. I'm glad you took the time to post it!

All I'll say, otherwise, is that I'm enjoying the RP at least as much as you, and my character's enjoying it, too, even if he might be more reluctant to admit it. It's definitely been a highlight of my time in COGG.
Arvael

Post by Arvael »

What a lovely, generous post to find! A few things come to mind:

1. I would LOVE to see logs of this roleplay unfolding, if you are inclined to share! And having said that, ANY role play that occurs out of the spotlight, but is meaningful, impactful, humourous, etc etc...logs. LOGS. I would love to see and be inspired by all of the great stuff that happens out there.

2. Sarah has been one of the main characters that my own has interacted with, and since the very beginning, I have been impressed with your interest in and ability to role play a true outlier. Sarah isn't caught up in the money, the appearance, the "hustle culture" (for lack of a better term), and I loved that she was illiterate. What a fantastic and rich opportunity for role play! And do you know what I love more? That you're open to having Sarah's narrative progress! You are open to allowing certain aspects of her to grow and change in natural ways, and you've happily found a team that will support you in that role play. Isn't that lovely? Isn't that what having a community is all about?

Congratulations on taking some risks, thinking outside of the box, and creating rich and realistic opportunities for not only yourself, but for everyone that joins in the rp!

Bravo all around.
"You two don't seem to have much in common, save for a penchant for demon women and evil."
notgreg

Post by notgreg »

One of the most fun things about roleplaying is when a random decision you made on the spot about your character turns out to be A Whole Thing. I'm always fascinated by which stupid thing I said ends up becoming a storyline for me.

I love seeing people go out of their way to provide opportunities for other people to play along, and it's a pleasure at all times to interact with you!
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

Three very lovely posts. I swear, each one had me grinning for a good half hour after I'd read it. Thank you for the feedback. If I've not said it enough times, you are all awesome.

Funny thing is, this character was itself created in the moment. A friend of mine was bugging me to go play COGG with him, and I just wanted to get back at him with a good dose of sarcasm and face making because why not. This person is no longer that active on COGG, but the character's stayed and evolved a considerable bit and grown on me.

Anyway, one thing of note. I have a habit of collecting logs, especially when something meaningful or impactful or humourous happens, and there's two reasons for that. Firstly, I don't share my character's ability to memorise and quote what people have said word for word, not to the same extent, anyway. Secondly, I like sharing and talking about good RP with people. I'd be more than happy to share what I've got so far, though I'm not sure what the best way to go about it would be. I've got text files of them ready, so I suppose I could send them to whomever cares to have a look. Thank you @Arvael for asking.
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
Frisbee

Our First Lesson!

Post by Frisbee »

So, I was posting logs a bit ago. People seem to like logs. Have another. Tell me if you like it or not. If you do, I'll post the rest. If not, I'll shut up. Here we go.
Lionel arrives from the east.
Lionel smiles.
You wave.
Speaking to you, Lionel asks, "You ever sleep?"
Speaking to Lionel, you say, "Of course I sleep."
Lionel asks, "When?"
Speaking to Lionel, you say, "Besides, you're up too."
Lionel says, "Yeah -- But I couldn't. Sleep, I mean."
Lionel asks, "Any gate. How much am I paying you, now?"
You ask, "Anything on your mind?"
You ask, "Hmm?"
You put a faded chestnut lockbox (closed) into your heavy canvas backpack (open).
Lionel says, "How much is your wage? I make no doubt but my valet convinced you to accept a wage."
You brightly inform, "Oh, he didn't. Sorry about that."
Lionel nods.
Lionel says, "No need for apologies. He will, next time."
You say, "Besides, I haven't done anything for ages."
Lionel asks, "AGES?"
You nod.
Lionel asks, "How exactly do you define an 'age'?"
You chuckle, "That depends."
Lionel asks, "What are you, two weeks old?"
Lionel says, "You look young, but not as young as all that."
You laugh!
Lionel says, "All right. All right. Tell you what. Tell you what."
You arch an eyebrow.
Lionel says, "Starting tomorrow, or the next day, or so, I'll teach you to read. We'll consider that payment for the next month. During which time, I'll wear you down until you see reason until you accept a regular wage."
Lionel asks, "That suit you?"
You say, "We'll see about the wearing me down part. But the rest is fine."
Lionel considers.
Lionel asks, "Actually, you know WHAT? I've really got to sleep. But I've got-- Do you know your NUMBERS, at least?"
You say, "I sort of know what's on riln pieces and the like."
Lionel says, "So, no. The answer is no."
Lionel says, "How many hours are there in a day? Quick."
You say, "Twenty four."
You incredulously say, "I know how to count."
Lionel says, "Good. Some people don't."
Lionel takes out his watch and shows it to you.
You nod slowly.
Lionel says, "Right, this is -- on the one hand it's sort of advanced, and it's sort of not."
You arch an eyebrow.
Lionel asks, "You see -- you've seen clocks. You know how to read a clock, right?"
You say, "I think so. There's one in there."
You nod toward the Town Hall.
Lionel says, "All right. The letters are called -- bear with me -- Constantinian numerals. This is of special interest to you, because the ancients used LETTERS to write numbers. And I'm going to teach you a few letters, right quick."
Lionel says, "Right. Point at twelve o'clock to me, on my watch. Twelve bells."
Lionel glances at you.
By the Aetgardian Calendar, today is Lordsday, the nineteenth day of Januarum of the year 1222.
The time is approximately twelve bells and one chime. It is midnight.
(OOC: Wed Jan 19 2022 00:17:36 MST)
Lionel holds the watch out to you.
Sarah squints at the watch then points to the spot where the hour hand is also pointing.
Lionel says, "That's right. It's the topmost."
You adopt an agreeable expression.
Lionel says, "With Nuumic numbers, we write that..."
Lionel writes in the dirt with his finger, "12."
You nod.
Lionel says, "But, as you can see, on my watch, it's XII. It's complicated. But you'll get the hang of it soon. That's X - I - I. Those are your first letters. Repeat them to me."
Lionel says, "Eks eye eye."
You quietly echo, "Eks eye eye."
Lionel says, "Draw an X for me."
You get up off a bench.
You kneel down.
Sarah draws an X on the dirt.
Lionel nods.
Lionel says, "Draw an I."
Sarah draws an I right next to the X.
Lionel asks, "Have you done this before?"
Lionel squints at you.
You ask, "No?"
You ask, "These are easy though, aren't they?"
You say, "I mean... Aren't they lines, mostly? There's ones that have weird bits that I can't understand."
Lionel says, "I mean -- they're all easy. They're -- ancient primitive people started writin' on papyrus or carving runes in stones or wood or in clay --."
Lionel nods.
Lionel says, "The hard part comes in when you have to put sounds to the letters."
You frown.
Lionel says, "All right."
Lionel points to his watch.
Lionel asks, "What is that numeral?"
You ask, "Which one?"
Lionel says, "By numeral I mean 'number-letter.'."
Lionel is pointing to one o'clock.
Sarah looks thoughtful for a long moment, then pionts to the I she has drawn.
Lionel asks, "Excellent. And if this were a letter, it would be pronounced...?"
You enunciate, "Eye."
Lionel asks, "Good. I will now teach you a WORD. Are you ready?"
You arch an eyebrow.
You say, "I dunno, depends how hard it is."
Lionel stares at you.
Lionel says, "Don't make me have you go cut me a switch."
Lionel says, "Say, 'Yes, schoolmaster.'."
You confusedly ask, "Schoolmaster?"
Lionel stares.
You ask, "Well?"
Lionel says, "Sit."
Lionel points his white wool duffel bag (open) at a bench.
You stand up.
You sit down on a bench.
Lionel says, "-I- am going to teach you a word, of one syllable. It contains one syllable. Can you guess what it is? It is how I refer to myself, and how you refer to yourself."
Lionel says, "Listen again."
Lionel says, "-I- am going to teach you a word, of one syllable. It contains one syllable. Can you guess what it is? It is how I refer to myself, and how you refer to yourself."
You frown.
You say, "Oh well..."
You say, "You've said it."
Lionel says, "-I- have."
Lionel waits.
Lionel says, "Write the word -I- am thinking of."
You slowly speculate, "Well... I'm guessing it's... Right."
Sarah draws another I.
Lionel smiles.
Lionel says, "You've just written your first word. Read it back to me."
Lionel points at your effort.
Sarah blinks as if surprised, then focuses back on the markings on the dirt and says, "Eye."
Lionel asks, "Now you can read and write. What d'ye think of that? You've got a goddamned long way to go, yet, of course, but what do you have to say about that, child?"
You slowly say, "I can? I don't think I can, yet."
Lionel says, "No? You just wrote, and you just read."
You mutter, "Just a couple of letters."
Lionel says, "Constantia wasn't built in a day."
You chuckle, "Fair enough."
Lionel says, "You should be proud of yourself. We'll continue this tomorrow. It'll get a LOT harder before it gets easier."
You say, "Proud that I can draw a few lines? Well we'll see, thanks for doing this, though. I figure it'll be useful."
Lionel says, "But it'll get easier, and you'll look back on these baby-steps, and laugh, ere long, if you keep up with it."
Lionel says, "So to bed."
You agree, "Right."
Lionel exclaims, "Get some sleep, for all love!"
You get up off a bench.
Lionel heads north.
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

That was very funny, cute and much more thought out than my lessons with people are. Anyone who says they don't want more are liars.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Frisbee

Second Lesson!

Post by Frisbee »

Thank you for the encouragement, Gorth. I hope people will enjoy this one as much. It's one of my personal favourites, especially the bit about class distinctions.
[Shadgard, Town Commons] (cart tracks) (OutUr) Dusk, Cold, Mostly Cloudy, Slight Breeze
A statue of a robed woman stands here in a circular plaza of earthen-hued cobblestones. Two circles of wooden benches have been placed around the plaza, one running the outer circumference of the plaza and facing inward, the other circling the base of the statue and facing outward. The plaza serves as a popular place for townsfolk to meet, visit and do business. A well-maintained road of cobblestones heads southward, while dirt paths lead to other sections of the town. On the north side of the plaza lies the Town Hall, a modest storage annex affixed to the east side of the building.
The area is poorly-lit. Several people are milling about the area. The area is somewhat noisy.
The area is warmed by some steam radiators.
You also notice a wooden storage crate (closed), some wanted posters hung on the Town Hall, a wooden trash barrel, a large post board (new posts), and some copper steam pipe conduits.
Also here: (npc)a chestnut horse, Loralai (sitting on a bench), Suzy (heavily-armored, sitting on a bench, sweaty), Artus (lightly-armored, briny, sweaty), Crispus (sitting on a bench, smells of juniper-berry), and Lionel (lightly-armored, smelly).
Obvious paths: west, north, east, south, a modest storage annex, the Town Hall.
Lionel nods to you.
You nod to Lionel.
Speaking to you, Lionel says, "Attend me."
You get up off a bench.
You join Lionel's group.
Suzy smiles.
Lionel leans toward you and whispers, "And anyone else you chuse to name. I'm going to give you a brief lesson."
Speaking to Crispus, Loralai ponders, "Yehh, I understand. I'd not want anythin' fancy, just whatever keeps my tits on my body, ya know?"
Speaking to Loralai, Crispus insists, "My prices are reasonable for what's asked. And should you have financial troubles, I believe Hoss and black are negotiators of loans."
Crispus snickers.
You shrug.
You wave.
Artus smiles.
Speaking to Loralai, Crispus dryly says, "I could likely make sure one's tits stay in place as well, yes. Chest-wraps are an easy ask."
Lionel says, "Pardon us for a moment, then."
Lionel heads east.
You follow Lionel.
[Hearth & Home, Party Room] (training) (InUr) Mild
Timber beams criss-cross the ceiling of the spacious party room, two wagon wheel chandeliers hanging from heavy iron chains along the center to compliment glass-paned wall gas lamps. Several tables and chairs fill the area nearer the entry from the hall, while the far end of the room serves as a public kitchen complete with a clay brick oven, water pump, generous counter space for food preparation, and several cupboards for storage. Set into the east wall is a wide fireplace surrounded by comfortable padded couches, a dart board hanging on the wall nearby above a large firewood crate.
A few people are milling about the area. The area is mostly quiet.
The area is warmed by a lit wood-burning stove.
You also notice a rough pine barrel of frothy brown beer labeled "BEER".
Also here: Lionel (GROUP LEADER, lightly-armored, smelly).
Obvious exits: south.
Lionel reads an inscribed paper page.
You confusedly ask, "Here?"
Lionel says, "Right. I got you that battledore, the other day. I've taken the pages out for you. Here is the first one."
Lionel offers to give you an inscribed paper page.
You may accept or decline the offer.
You say, "Oh."
You accept Lionel's offer and are now holding an inscribed paper page.
[ESP-GRAY] * A brief pulse of the color Gunmetal-Gray flickers at the edge of your mind's eye. *
Lionel says, "It says, 'A little present for a good child.' And then there's the name of our town and the name of the man who printed it. Underneath the cow."
Lionel says, "You may dispose of that."
You carefully examine an inscribed paper page that you are holding ...
Lionel removes an inscribed paper page from his heavy brown canvas backpack (open).
You read an inscribed paper page (Common Letters):
A LITTLE PRESENT FOR A GOOD CHILD.
(Printed on the page is a woodblock image of a smiling cow)
SHADGARD.
E. Bounderby.
You frown.
You ask, "Why?"
Lionel asks, "Why what?"
Lionel says, "It's just the cover-sheet. It don't signify."
You say, "Dispose... whatever you said."
You say, "Oh, but I'll keep it anyway."
Lionel says, "Sure."
You put an inscribed paper page into your heavy leather backpack (open).
Lionel says, "Just put it away somewhere."
Lionel says, "RIGHT."
Lionel waves his inscribed paper page around.
Lionel says, "Tonight we are only going to learn the first line."
Lionel says, "Repeat after me, and look at the letters as you do so."
You nod.
Lionel says, "A. B. C. D. E. F. G. Aitch. Or Haitch. Some people say that the one way, and some t'other."
Lionel says, "Repeat."
You confusedly ask, "What should I say, aitch or haitch?"
Lionel smiles at you.
Lionel says, "Nowadays 'aitch' is considered somewhat more elevated, in certain circles. But those same circles might think you're putting on airs, if you say it that way, not to mention the other circles. It's really up to you."
Lionel says, "I won't mark you down for saying it either way."
Lionel exclaims, "REPEAT!"
You dismissively decide, "I'm getting judged by someone either way, but I won't care, so."
A B C D E F G H
I K L M N O P Q
R S T U W X Y Z
r (r rotunda)
(long s) s t u v w x y z
You repeat, "A. B. C. D. E. F. G. Aitch."
Lionel says, "No, never you, bulletproof Sarah. Never feels a sting."
You say, "Not true."
Lionel asks, "No?"
Lionel points at a pine table.
Lionel says, "Put the sheet there."
You put an inscribed paper page on a pine table.
Lionel points to capital A.
Lionel asks, "What's that?"
You say, "Is that the first one? Then it's A."
Lionel points to capital E.
Lionel asks, "That?"
Sarah counts on her fingers for a moment. "E."
Lionel squints at you.
Lionel asks, "You sure you're new to this?"
You say, "Well, I was counting. The way it looks doesn't mean much to me yet."
Lionel , consideringly, points to 'R rotunda' among the lowercase letters.
Lionel asks, "What's that one?"
You frown.
You say, "Well you haven't said."
Lionel says, "No. All right."
Lionel says, "Recite the letters you know, again."
You recite, "A. B. C. D. E. F. G. Aitch. Ekx. Eye."
Lionel laughs!
You ask, "What?"
Lionel exclaims, "I meant the ones I've taught you in this lesson, just now. But good for you!"
You say, "Well, you didn't say."
Lionel says, "You're quite, quite right."
Lionel asks, "All right. It's your choice, now. Do you want to learn the next few letters, or do you want to practise writing the ones you already know?"
You say, "I think I'll stick to the ones I know."
Lionel nods.
You say, "Oh, look what I got."
You remove a rectangular writing slate from the heavy leather backpack (open) you are wearing.
Lionel glances at you.
Lionel snatches his penner back up and puts it away.
Lionel says, "Even better."
[ESP-GRAY]: A gunmetal-gray entity asks, "So, anyone out there know what it takes to assemble a crossbow?"
Lionel says, "Go to it, then."
Lionel points at an inscribed paper page.
You squint at an inscribed paper page.
Lionel sits down on a rough-carved pine chair.
Sarah takes a moment to study an inscribed paper page carefully, paying particular attention to the first eight letters.
Lionel says, "Sit."
You sit down on a rough-carved pine chair.
You ask, "What should I write?"
Lionel says, "Just copy the letters you know, bating I and X."
You put a steel lockpick (damaged) into your heavy leather backpack (open).
You remove an inscribed paper page from on a pine table.
You nod slowly.
You put an inscribed paper page on a pine table.
[ESP-GRAY]: A blue entity asks, "Are there any builders who are aware?"
[ESP-GRAY]: A seafrost-green entity says, "Yes."
You write on your rectangular writing slate with your rough stick of limestone chalk.
You read a rectangular writing slate (Common Letters):
A B C B E F G H
You frown.
Lionel says, "Show me."
[ESP-GRAY]: A blue entity asks, "Wonderful. I'd like to have a bee hive built. How much would you charge me to have it done?"
You swap a rectangular writing slate to your right hand.
You hold your rectangular writing slate up for all to see.
Lionel asks, "What did you do wrong?"
[ESP-GRAY]: A seafrost-green entity says, "I prefer to keep pricing off the network, but I can meet with you if you'd like."
You glance at the rectangular writing slate in your hand and frown.
[ESP-GRAY]: A blue entity asks, "Wonderful. Where would you like me to meet you?"
You say, "Oh hang on, those two are the same."
Lionel nods.
Lionel says, "That's right."
[ESP-GRAY]: A seafrost-green entity says, "By the stockade."
[ESP-GRAY]: A blue entity says, "On my way."
Lionel says, "Capital B and Capital D are like camels. B has two humps, and D has only one."
Sarah erases the second B and draws a D on its stead.
Lionel nods.
Lionel says, "Good."
Lionel says, "All right. We're finished with the formal lessons for tonight. We'll continue tomorrow. But before class is dismissed..."
Lionel says, "Tell me a word which begins with D."
You say, "Oh."
Sarah looks around for inspiration.
You frown.
Lionel waits.
You say, "Does the whole letter... I mean, how do I say..."
Lionel asks, "Mm?"
Lionel says, "It doesn't have to start sounding like 'deeeeee,' if that's what you mean. It makes the 'd' sound."
You slowly reply, "Oh... Then..."
Lionel asks, "The sound at the beginning. D'ye follow?"
Sarah points at the dartboard. "Dartboard? Or dart."
Lionel says, "Excellent."
Lionel asks, "Now, what letter does 'excellent' begin with?"
You frown.
Lionel says, "You know -- that one's not really fair."
Lionel says, "It starts with E."
Lionel points at a rough pine barrel of frothy brown beer labeled "BEER".
You mutter, "I don't -- Oh."
Lionel asks, "That is a -B-arrel of -B-eer. It starts with...?"
Sarah begins mouthing the letters she has been taught, but stops when she arrives at B. She says the letter out loud.
Lionel nods.
Lionel says, "Good."
Lionel says, "Now."
Lionel points at the seventh letter which you have written down on your chalkboard.
You squint at the rectangular writing slate in your hand.
[ESP-GRAY]: A seafoam-green entity asks, "You about, ale-brown?"
Lionel says, "Tell me a word that goes like that. I'll give you some hints."
You say, "Oh, Uh..."
Lionel says, "Sometimes G goes like -- 'jee!' which is how we say the letter. And sometimes it goes like 'grrrr.' This is the difference between a soft and a hard consonant."
You nod slowly.
Lionel says, "Do not be distracted by these terms."
[ESP-GRAY]: A seafrost-green entity says, "A few bells, Blue. You'll see them slowly start to come in."
You mutter, "Why do you say them, then?"
[ESP-GRAY]: A seafrost-green entity says, "Sorry about the abrupt exit."
Lionel says, "To lay the groundwork, child."
Lionel says, "Now do as you've been told."
You exclaim, "Oh!"
[ESP-GRAY]: A blue entity says, "Quite alright my friend. This is exciting."
You ask, "Groundwork, isn't that one?"
Lionel smiles.
You ask, "Is it?"
[ESP-GRAY]: A pearl entity quietly says, "Oh no. Bother."
[ESP-GRAY]: A pearl entity irritatedly asks, "Are any blacksmiths available for repairs?"
[ESP-GRAY]: A steel-gray entity says, "Sure."
Lionel mutters -- absolutely incomprehensibly, of course -- "Macte nova virtute, pulla. Sic itur ad astra."
Lionel nods to you.
Lionel says, "Yes, it is."
You ask, "Mind not doing that?"
[ESP-GRAY]: A pearl entity says, "Thank you. I'm on my way."
Lionel says, "I do."
[ESP-GRAY]: A butterscotch entity asks (muffled), "Any surgeons to treat some frostbite?"
You ask, "Why?"
[ESP-GRAY]: A rawhide-brown entity says, "Sure, meet ya at the Infirmary."
[ESP-GRAY]: A butterscotch entity says (muffled), "On my way."
[ESP-GRAY]: A butterscotch entity exclaims (muffled), "Me two hands!"
Lionel says, "Because I am your schoolmaster, and you must not question me."
You ask, "But that's not... I mean that's not possible is it?"
Lionel asks, "What's not possible?"
You say, "I've asked you things before. I can't not ask you, otherwise I won't learn anything."
Lionel asks, "What exactly did you mean?"
You say, "I meant what I said."
Lionel exclaims, "When you asked if I meant not doing that!"
Lionel exclaims, "Not doing what!"
You say, "This muttering in a strange tongue that I don't know."
Lionel nods.
Lionel says, "That's what I thought you meant."
Lionel sighs.
Lionel says, "Yes, yes, yes, I'll TRY."
You smile.
You exclaim, "Good!"
Lionel says, "It means, 'Cultivate this new manliness, girl. Thus it goes to the stars.' But that sounds stupid."
You say, "I haven't got any manliness about me, not that I know, anyway."
Lionel says, "That's the trouble. Omnis traductor traditor. Oh, there I go again! Anyway, 'virtue' meant 'manliness' to the ancient Constantinians, before it meant... you know, being good. The concepts were one and the same."
You look at Lionel and shrug.
Lionel gets up off a rough-carved pine chair.
Lionel says, "Follow."
You get up off a rough-carved pine chair.
Lionel heads south.
You follow Lionel.
[Hearth & Home Inn, Common Room] (shop) (InUr) Mild
This cozy common room is filled to capacity with pine tables and chairs, wooden support beams criss-crossing the low ceiling. A glowing fire burns merrily in a large hearth, giving the place a cozy feel. A long wooden bar lined with barstools serves as a serving area, telltale sounds of a busy kitchen emanating from an opening behind it. Several hunting trophies can be seen mounted on the walls. An insignia depicting a pair of crossed pistols within an upturned horseshoe is set into the top beam of an open doorway in the south wall.
There is a small crowd of people here. The area is somewhat noisy.
The area is warmed by a lit glowing fire in a large hearth.
Also here: (npc)Belem (carrying a pickaxe) and Lionel (GROUP LEADER, lightly-armored, smelly).
Obvious exits: north, out, an open doorway, the kitchen.
Lionel has a few words with an assistant.
Lionel says, "This might be too easy for you, since you know what's served here."
Roen arrives, carrying a mace and a shield.
Roen heads north.
Lionel asks, "But tell me, what's the first item on the bill of fare?"
You say, "Oh hang on, we forgot."
Lionel points at the menu.
An assistant hands you a catalog listing the items for sale:
=====Drinks=====
some average Farn's beer ...................................... 22 riln/finger
some average Huecatn hot cocoa ................................ 38 riln/finger
=====Food=====
some average chevon and thyme stew (sit-down food) ............ 165 riln
some fine flapjacks topped with maple syrup (sit-down food) ... 88 riln
=====Kitchenware=====
an average hearth-etched copper mug ........................... 110 riln
If you see something you like, you can order it.
Roen arrives from the north.
Roen heads out.
You say, "Oh beer, again."
Lionel asks, "Good. Can you work out what the second is?"
You frown.
?Hreidun? arrives from the north.
?Hreidun? heads out.
You admit, "No idea."
Lionel asks, "It's three words. What are the first letters of the words?"
An average-height broad amber-haired adult man with ruddy skin and hazel eyes arrives, followed by a large wicker back-basket with a burned leather emblem fixed to it (levitating, closed).
An average-height broad amber-haired adult man with ruddy skin and hazel eyes heads north, followed by a large wicker back-basket with a burned leather emblem fixed to it (levitating, closed).
[ESP-GRAY]: A butterscotch entity asks, "Do we have any persons who could carve me a fine quality knife handle?"
Sarah squints at the menu. "Aitch, aitch and C".
You say, "But I dunno what either of those sounds like."
Lunessa arrives.
Lunessa heads north.
?Hreidun? arrives.
?Hreidun? heads north.
?Hreidun? arrives from the north.
?Hreidun? heads out.
Lionel says, "Yes, that's -- Right. That's a good point. Right. It's 'Huecatn hot cocoa.'."
You say, "Oh."
An average-height lean dark-brown-haired youthful man with tan skin and blue-gray eyes arrives.
Lionel says, "Follow."
An average-height lean dark-brown-haired youthful man with tan skin and blue-gray eyes hands over some riln and receives some flapjacks topped with maple syrup.
Lionel heads out.
You follow Lionel.
[Shadgard General Store] (shop) (InUr) Mild
The Shadgard General Store is a cluttered establishment letting no space go to waste. A large variety of goods fills the simple wood-walled store, from barrels bristling with farming and mining tools to jars of various cooking herbs and spices lining the wall shelves. Rope nets hang from ceiling beams, filled with yet other goods for sale that no counter space could be found for. Partially blocking the square glass-paned windows are piles of trail gear popular with local hunters, travelers, and fortune-seekers. Near the front counter are cases of basic travel foods such as jerky and the ever-unpopular hardtack rations, while a few glass jars are filled with more tempting fare: sugary hard candies, sure to set any child to nagging their parents. All in all, it's hard not to get caught up in a sense of determination or adventure just standing in this place, thinking of all the possibilities its wares could grant to patrons.
A few people are milling about the area. The area is mostly quiet.
The area is warmed by a lit wood-burning stove.
Also here: (npc)Relena and Lionel (GROUP LEADER, lightly-armored, smelly).
Obvious exits: out.
Lionel has a few words with an assistant.
Lionel points at the very first category in the catalogue.
[ESP-GRAY]: A butterscotch entity says, "No carvers any more, I guess."
[ESP-GRAY]: A seafrost-green entity says, "I'm working on it."
[ESP-GRAY]: A seafrost-green entity says, "I'm really close, but not there yet."
Lionel points at the word, 'Angling.'
Lionel asks, "What is the first letter, there?"
[ESP-GRAY]: A butterscotch entity pleased says, "It's not a dying art then."
Sarah squints at the catalogue herself. "A?."
Lionel says, "Right."
[ESP-GRAY]: A nacreous entity dryly says (muffled), "Or they happen ta be sleeping."
A bell tolls eight times, signaling the time of day.
[ESP-GRAY]: A laurel-green entity drawls, "Na, it ain't, but I'm so far form as good as ya need it ain't even funny."
Lionel points at the item under that -- a fishing rod.
[ESP-GRAY]: A seafrost-green entity says, "By tomorrow for sure."
Sarah tugs irritably at her loose white wool shirt.
You pull your small dusk-gray crystal pendant (somewhat faded) out from under your loose white wool shirt.
Lionel asks, "What is the first word in that?"
You take off a small dusk-gray crystal pendant (somewhat faded).
The hue of a small dusk-gray crystal pendant (somewhat faded) shifts to become gray.
You put a small gray crystal pendant (somewhat faded) into your heavy leather backpack (open).
Lionel points at the R.
You say, "Oh... Uh..."
You recall, "Oh, it's the same one you showed me before."
You say, "But I don't know what it is."
[FROM Lionel (OOC)]: I goofed up! I meant to point to the hook!
[TO Lionel (OOC)]: Oops
Lionel says, "RIGHT. That's the letter R. We'll come to that tomorrow."
You mutter, "Right."
Lionel points to ACTUAL ITEM which he was trying to point out to you -- a hook.
You nod.
Lionel asks, "What's that letter?"
You reply, "That's an aitch."
You say, "Oh... Strange."
Lionel asks, "What's strange?"
You observe, "Aitch doesn't sound at all like hook."
You say, "I mean, beer did sound like B, the beginning."
Lionel asks, "What's another way I told you to say aitch?"
You say, "Oh! That's why."
You ask, "But then why is aitch thought of as fancier?"
Lionel says, "That is very complicated, my dear. Tell me..."
Lionel exclaims, "'Ere! 'Ow do you do!"
You laugh!
You ask, "But that's not... Really fancy is it?"
Lionel exclaims, "'Here. How do you do?'".
You exclaim, "Right, I know what it means!"
Lionel says, "No. No, I wasn't translating."
Lionel asks, "I was just asking -- suppose you owned a china shop in Shadgard. Which version of me would you rather do business with?"
You slowly reply, "I... Wouldn't mind."
Lionel shakes his head.
Lionel says, "You're not you."
You ask, "What?"
Lionel says, "You're a china-shop owner."
You thoughtfully ask, "Well, china's expensive enough as it is. Wouldn't it be better for business if I didn't mind if people who came at my shop said 'ere or here?"
Lionel stares at you.
You insist, "Wouldn't it?"
Lionel says, "YOU are a VERY snooty china-shop owner-- very alive to the distinctions of class distinctions."
You frown.
You say, "Fair enough."
Lionel asks, "What sort of person do you want to be seen browsing in your shop?"
You say, "Then I'd probably be dead. But anyway, people like you would say here, and you eat with gold spoons and drink from silver cups. Can't get fancier than that."
You decide, "So, I'd probably want people like you."
You say, "But that still doesn't make sense."
Lionel says, "Yes. Probably. I have very nearly lost the thread of this tapestry of linguistic -- No. I know. It's backwards."
You nod slowly.
Lionel asks, "It just is what it is. Where were we, before all this?"
You recall, "Hook."
Lionel says, "Right."
Lionel asks, "So that first head, in the catalogue, what are they to do with? The three items in the first category. What do they have in common?"
Sarah looks at all the items in the first category. "You fish with them?"
Lionel asks, "What's the head word, then?"
You correct, "Or... Well, you use them to fish, you can't use each one on their own but they're part of..."
You frown.
Lionel points at the word, 'Angling.'
You confusedly ask, "I'd say fishing, but that doesn't start with an A, or does it?"
Lionel asks, "Can you think of another word for fishing?"
You frown.
You say, "I can, but they're not one word."
Lionel says, "'Angling.'."
You realise, "Oh, that means fishing. Right."
Lionel says, "It means fishing, with a rod. An old word for a fishing rod in an 'angle.'."
Lionel heads out.
You follow Lionel.
[Hearth & Home, Party Room] (training) (InUr) Mild
Lionel removes an inscribed paper page from on a pine table.
Lionel says, "You're such a quick study, that we'll try this..."
Lionel says, "I K L M N O P Q."
Lionel says, "Repeat."
You say, "Oh, there's I."
Lionel says, "Aye."
Lionel grins.
A B C D E F G H
I K L M N O P Q
R S T U W X Y Z
r (r rotunda)
(long s) s t u v w x y z
Lionel takes a blank paper page from his heavy brown canvas backpack (open) and puts it onto a pine table.
You ask, "Say it again?"
Lionel says, "I K L M N O P Q."
You repeat, "I K L M N O P Q."
Lionel removes a blank paper page from on a pine table.
Lionel says, "Good. Repetition is the mother of learning. Repeat:."
You repeat, "Good. Repetition is the mother of learning."
Lionel says, "R S T U Double-U X Y Zed."
Lionel exclaims, "No!"
You ask, "What?"
Lionel says, "R S T U Double-U X Y Zed."
You repeat, "R S T U Double-U X Y Zed."
Lionel nods.
Lionel says, "Good."
Lionel puts a blank paper page on a pine table.
Lionel says, "Now."
Lionel asks, "Say your whole ABC. The capitals. Do you think you can manage it?"
Lionel sits down on a rough-carved pine chair.
You uncertainly reply, "Maybe."
Lionel removes a small clay cup from in some dark-stained wooden kitchen cupboards.
Lionel pours frothy brown beer from a rough pine barrel labeled "BEER" to a small clay cup.
Lionel takes a drink from his small clay cup of frothy brown beer.
Lionel prompts, 'A B...'
You mutter, "Right, A B."
You say, "Wait, Is there more than..."
Lionel says, "The whole nine yards."
You frown.
You say, "Right, let's see."
Lionel says, "You remember the first lesson."
You say, "I do."
Lionel says, "Go through it."
You say, "How do you mean? we learned X and I in that."
Lionel exclaims, "God's my life! Gods save me from such literal creatures as this one!"
Lionel gazes upwards!
You ask, "What?"
Lionel says, "Your for lesson tonight."
Lionel says, "The first line."
You say, "Oh."
You say, "Right."
You recite:
A B C D E F G Aitch
Lionel nods.
Lionel says, "Good. Next."
You recite:
I K L M N O P Q
Lionel exclaims, "Excellent! Go on!"
Lionel stares at you.
You ask, "What?"
Lionel says, "Your memory is a profound thing."
You chuckle, "Well... I couldn't read, so that brain worked a lot. Now it might become worse with time, who knows."
Lionel asks, "Probably. Do you have any questions?"
You frown.
Lionel removes a blank paper page from on a pine table.
You ask, "Do you like doing this? Are you enjoying it, I mean? Or is it too boring?"
You add, "You probably had to learn these when you were six, or something like that."
Lionel says, "I meant, questions related to your schooling. Not about your schoolmaster."
Shalhevet just arrived.
You glance at the inscribed paper page in your hand.
Lionel puts a blank paper page in his leather drawstring pouch (open).
You say, "Not really."
Lionel nods.
Lionel says, "Fair enough."
Lionel says, "Yes, and no."
You ask, "Hmm?"
Lionel says, "We-ellll..."
Lionel considers.
Lionel says, "It's beneath me. It's clean beneath me. Acting as a dame-school dame. On t'other hand..."
Lionel looks at you and sighs.
Lionel says, "I don't know how else to pay you back for all your kindnesses. And you're such a good scholar."
You say, "Me? I didn't know anything about writing till you showed me."
Lionel exclaims, "Exactly!"
Lionel exclaims, "It's very flattering!"
You ask, "What is?"
Lionel says, "The notion that I've taught you your whole ABC, and to pronounce certain letters, and how to read a watch, in two or three days."
You admit, "That's more because you're a good teacher than because I'm a good scholar. I suppose, part of what makes a scholar good is if they care enough to... study, or whatever. I haven't really, not until now."
Lionel nods.
Lionel asks, "Why, now?"
Lionel asks, "Why have you undertaken to study?"
You say, "Because I have the time, and because there's people -- Well, a person, who cares enough to show me."
Lionel grins lopsidedly at you.
Lionel says, "I make no doubt but that any number of your friends would be happy to teach you."
Sarah returns Lionel's grin. "Thanks for that, by the way."
You say, "I don't know about that."
Lionel says, "And they'd probably do it better than me."
You say, "I don't know about that, either."
Lionel gets up off a rough-carved pine chair.
Lionel exclaims, "Repeat the alphabet!"
Lionel snaps.
You say, "Oh."
You recite:
A B C D E F G Aitch
I K L M N O P Q
R S T U Double-U X Y Zed.
Lionel asks, "What is a word that starts with T?"
Speaking to yourself, you mutter, "T."
You ask, "Is T like D? I mean... Do you do the same to it to get the sound?"
Lionel tsks.
Lionel says, "Y-esss. T goes like -- T. On the tip of your tongue. D goes like -- D -- back a bit."
You say, "No no, I meant..."
Lionel glances at you.
You say, "I said do you do the same to it. Do you think the same way. I mean..."
You frown.
A bell tolls nine times, signaling the time of day.
Lionel frowns.
You say, "You take out the 'EE' part."
Lionel says, "Oh."
Lionel says, "Yes. Always. Those are just the NAMES of the letters. The letters have names, just like you and I."
You consider, "Then..."
Lionel says, "But -- usually, they start with the -- go on."
Lionel nods.
You glance around the area.
You say, "Table."
You point your rectangular writing slate at a pine table.
Lionel points at your slate.
Lionel asks, "And that begins with...?"
You carefully examine a rectangular writing slate that you are holding ...
Sarah says the word "slate" a few times under her breath, then tries to separate the first letter. "S. Unless there's one that... Hmm, let me see."
Lionel raises an eyebrow.
You say, "Zed has a sound that is a bit like the beginning of it, but..."
You decide, "But I think it's S."
Lionel asks, "Is it a zlate or a slate?"
You emphatically say, "Right, it's a slate."
Lionel nods.
Lionel says, "There are very few words that begin with zed. It could very well be excised from the alphabet."
You say, "There's a reason it exists, I'm sure."
Lionel says, "Historical linguistics. Yes."
You nod emphatically.
You say, "That."
Lionel says, "The same reason C goes like S sometimes and sometimes like K. But we're very far from that lesson."
You frown.
Lionel grins.
Lionel points at the small forest-green crystal pendant (opaque) he is wearing.
You arch an eyebrow.
You recall, "Oh, I took it off."
Lionel says, "Who's..."
Lionel considers.
You ask, "Hmm?"
Lionel says, "Purplish? If I had to put it down to a distinct colour..."
You suggest, "Artus?"
Lionel asks, "Maybe deep-mauve?"
Lionel asks, "Shall I answer for you?"
You ask, "What?"
Lionel says, "They're asking if you're around."
You ask, "Kind of, why?"
You say, "You can answer."
Lionel says, "Sarah is here. At the Sign of the Hearth and Home."
Lionel's small forest-green crystal pendant (opaque) pulses with a forest-green glow.
Lionel says, "Sarah is here. At the Sign of the Hearth and Home."
Lionel's small forest-green crystal pendant (opaque) pulses with a forest-green glow.
Lionel nods.
You chuckle, "Once is enough. Though, why was he asking? Did he say?"
Lionel says, "Sayys -- never mind. He'll get to you later, once he's back in town. You forgot something in his card."
You ask, "What card?"
Lionel clears his throat.
Lionel says, "Cart."
You ask, "Oh... Did I?"
Lionel shrugs.
You shrug.
Lionel exclaims, "Don't ask me!"
You laugh!
You say, "Well that was fun, I think."
Lionel smiles at you.
You smile at Lionel.
Lionel says, "One more time."
You say, "Right."
You recite:
A B C D E F G Aitch
I K L M N O P Q
R S T U Double-U X Y Zed.
Lionel says, "What letter does the thing that goes 'QUACK! QUACK!' begin with? And what letter does it end with? Answer me now. Don't think about it."
You stutter, "I -- I dunno."
You say, "Oh."
Lionel stares at you.
You ask, "With D?"
Lionel asks, "Perhaps. And it ends with what letter?"
Lionel snatches the page away.
Lionel says, "None of that, now."
You suggest, "Maybe Q? Or K."
Lionel nods.
Lionel says, "It's K, yes. D-U-C-K."
Lionel says, "But Q was a good guess. Interesting."
Lionel says, "Get out of here."
You arch an eyebrow.
Lionel shooes you away.
You mutter, "Well... Uh... Fair enough."
You quickly say, "Thanks, again."
Lionel nods.
You head south.
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

Huge self-necrobump, yay! But the title says it's a journey, so we should be alright!

With that out of the way, i'd like to document a tiny thing my character had to do this morning, an every-day thing you do that nevertheless hit me right in the feels.
[Town Hall, Post Office] (shop, post) (InUr) Mild
The post worker shuffles through some papers for a few moments, then informs you of your incoming mail waiting to be picked up:
1: a hard leather scribes case (open) (weight: 0.10) sent 12-22-23 22:31
You may retrieve an item by number.
A post worker hands you a hard leather scribes case (open) from behind the desk.
I don't often come up here to talk about character development, and I won't waste anyone's time with much of that today, but this... this has been two years in the making. So many characters have been involved, in so many forms and circumstances. It's overwhelmingly satisfying to thing back on all of it.

So, thank you, as yet mysterious culpret, who put this in the post. And, to circle bakck to lovely Arvael's post from so long ago, thank you, all of you, for being my community. I love you.
notgreg

Post by notgreg »

I have no words for how happy I am to see this still happening! Your dedication is a joy to watch, and that's a big part of what's so great about having Sarah around as a character. Literally never change.