Soundpack start

Discussion of MUD clients, plugins, the website, and other technical stuff.
Ravager

Soundpack start

Post by Ravager »

Okay, I've played Cogg for a little while, and there's just too much I am missing, and I am sure others that are VI/blind do too. Besides that, melee combat the way it's supposed to be isn't really accessible without sight because of the amount of text that comes through (not a complaint, I actually like the thought of people needing to think about it). Because of this, I'm starting to work up a soundpack for the blind/VI people that play this, but for Windows, and Linux. In Windows, it will be for Mushclient, and if I get to it for Linux, it'll be tintin++.

I will need help for these packs though. I don't need people to code stuff or anything, but here is what I'd like. Since I plan on passing it out, or putting up a link somewhere or whatever to grab it, I can't steal sounds. If people can help direct me to, or send me sounds that I can use without getting into trouble, I would be happy. The other thing I'll really need is logs. Logs of ranged combat, melee combat with different weapons, logs of crafting, just stuff to go in and set sound effects to. Remember though, if you are going to send logs to me, pull out your username/password info in the logfile.

Because I don't really have the time or energy anymore though, this isn't going to be anything super fancy. I don't plan on setting loops for terrain/areas, or anything like that. Also, part of the reason for the soundpack is to catch communications, things like ESP, GAME, and talking, but I don't know how to do that with tintin, and it is going to miss out on that functionality.

My email is:

hobbgoblin79@gmail.com

Please, if you send anything, label it "soundpack sounds" "soundpack logs" or "soundpack suggestions" so I don't just delete it as spam. Thanks to any and all that offer any sort of help.
Karjus

Re: Soundpack start

Post by Karjus »

Very awesome. Good luck with this, and I'll try and send you logs of lockpicking and combat.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Ravager

Post by Ravager »

First off, I want to say thanks for the locksmithing logs. That is definitely useful. Now to get combat stuff, as well as other things.

Second, and main thing. It is seriously a pain to find sounds I don't have to pay for. I've found a sight where as long as it's not commercial use, use of the sounds is alright, but trying to search through thousands of sounds for specific sounds here and there is a major PITA. I don't know when I will have anything to post, but also, I think I am the only blind player here, so I don't exactly see a rush. I'll post more as I go, and when I get something worth zipping and posting to share, I'll I will mention it here on the BBS, but in a different thread.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

@Nobody mentioned the BBC Sound Effects library a little while back, which has quite a lot in it and seems to be free for non-commercial use. There's a search bar at the top that can be used to narrow things down.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Firerose

Post by Firerose »

Hi!
You're not the only blind player. There are at least three, maybe four more including myself.
I just emailed you some stuff you may already have. Let me know if there's more you need, and I can try to help.
Feel free to poke me in tells as well, if that's easier.

The only triggers and aliases I know how to set up are in VIPMud (for sighted users, thing zMud/cMud). I don't know Lua, or I'd offer to help with more aspects of coding.
As it is, I'm glad you're doing a stripped-down soundpack. I'm not sure, though, how to get around the inevitable conflict, if people use MUSH-Z for multiple games (name CLOK and its plugins), because certain things the client will catch, and not send to the MUD. I'm not sure if you know ways around that, but I wanted to put that out there, because it's important that other blind players know about plugin keyword conflicts.
Ravager

Post by Ravager »

Okay, to be honest, I gave up on Mushclient unfortunately. For some reasons, I couldn't get loops to work at all, and variables wouldn't save across sessions, meaning you had to reset gag sets and stuff. With there either being an omit from window or no, that means even if you logged and tried to go back, it won't capture it. That also meant you can't have the text there until you learn all the sounds and decide to turn text off easily.

On a good note, variables work across sessions, meaning if you tell the client to gag extra text in combat and use only sounds, it'll remember that when you shut down, restart, and log back in. Also, on a good note, that means there will be sound looping. That means as I look, and search, and find sounds I like that are open to use, they'll be put in as area/background noises.

alright, also thanks to the two of you that sent me text. That has helped so much, you wouldn't even believe.
Teri

Post by Teri »

I was pondering was there any particular sounds anyone wanted or were searching for to add into sound packs? I can sort through some if I have an idea. I had https://freesound.org/ suggested to me as a decent site for finding sounds as well.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Navi

Post by Navi »

While I've made it known I don't want to support a soundpack myself, I don't mind assisting you in getting mushclient setup. If I'm online go ahead and shoot me a tell and we can hope on discord and voice chat to answer some questions.
wander without wanting, thrust into lands unknown. the shadows shift and change, and the worlds with them.
I'm not a soldier but I'm fighting
Can you hear me through the silence?
I won't give up 'cause there will be a day
We'll meet again