TinTin++ users?

Discussion of MUD clients, plugins, the website, and other technical stuff.
Dennis1

TinTin++ users?

Post by Dennis1 »

Hi all,

I recently adopted TinTin++ and I was wondering if you all had any resources or suggestions for a complete newbie to TinTin++

Best,

Dennis
Rias
DEV

Re: TinTin++ users?

Post by Rias »

Per the standard, use semicolon for command stacking.

I have the following in a file I read when I start tt++ (`#read tt_config`)

Code: Select all

#ACTION {%*, "%*$}
{
        #line log {chatlog_$char}
}
{5}

#ACTION {%*[#%*$}
{
}
{5}

#ACTION {%*[ESP-%*$}
{
}
{5}

#ACTION {%*[FROM%*$}
{
}
{5}

#ACTION {%*[TO%*$}
{
}
{5}

#ALIAS {exiles}
{
        #session exiles exiles.contrarium.net 4001;
        #split;
        #variable char exiles_rias
}
{5}
Most of that is to log speech, chat channels, tells, and ESP to the chatlog_<char> file. You can use `#var <name>` to change which chatlog file it goes to, if you have any desire to do so. So when logging in as Bob, do `#var char bob` and when logging in as Sally do `#var char sally` to keep their chatlog files separate.

The last thing in the above is just a convenient alias to connect to the game, do a `#split`, and set a default value for my chatlog filenames.
The `#split` makes it so you have a static command input bar at the bottom, which is nice. I've played with having the status prompt go down there, but it's always been a little too finicky for me to be happy with.

To view the chatlog while playing, I use a multiplexer (I like tmux, though standard gnu screen works as well) to split the terminal into two panes, with the chatlog in the top pane and tt++ in the bottom one. In the top pane I do `less -R chatlog_exiles_rias` to view the chatlog file (-R applies the ANSI colors instead of showing the ANSI codes), then hit shift-F to have less constantly monitor for new data and update as it comes in.

I love tt++ because it's super quick and easy to add highlight or aliases or actions on the go.
I want to make sure I always see lockboxes: `#hi lockbox yellow` ("hi" being short for "highlight")
I just made a new friend, Jane, and want her name to stand out. `#hi Jane b blue yellow`. ("b blue" is making the background blue, followed by "yellow" which is the foreground color.)
I routinely sell goods from my farm at the market, and am feeling lazy so I want to have one command to sell all that stuff and then deposit all my money at the bank. `#alias farmsell {sell egg all; sell egg all; sell wool all; sell wool all; sell wheat all; sell wheat all; southeast; east; go bank; deposit all}` Now I can just go to the market, type "farmsell", and let 'er rip.

And to remove stuff you don't want anymore: #unhi, #unalias, #unaction, etc.

Eventually you can go nuts and set up sounds that trigger with #action and whatnot. It's a pretty robust little client without all the cruft of GUIs.

Hopefully that gets you some handy stuff going to start with. And when you add your own stuff that improves the experience, post here and let me know!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Fall

Re: TinTin++ users?

Post by Fall »

You guys got me curious, so I started playing with this, and I figured out how to get the prompt to work on the split line! It's #prompt {~^%*>%*} {%0} The tilde at the start makes it keep the colors. That was the hardest part to figure out. Now if only there was a way to make it update every second, so you could see your round time go down, and your experience %, and things like that in real time.
You notice ((DEV Rias)) reaching discreetly into your crude threadbare wool pants! Seeing your attention, he quickly withdraws his hand.