Mudlet Mapper

Discussion of MUD clients, plugins, the website, and other technical stuff.
Midnight

Mudlet Mapper

Post by Midnight »

I would really like to use the Mudlet Mapper, but I am running into some problems.
The mapper seems to get confused by some information, which change over time, e.g. the weather:

[Redrock Canyon] (OutCyRk) Late Afternoon, Warm, Partly Cloudy, Gentle Breeze

The mapper uses the whole line as the room name.
So when I 'start mapping', the mapper works perfectly, but after a while (when the weather changes), it is all messed up.

Therefore, I have a request, if you could add an option to 'start a new line after the room name'? So, it would look like this:

[Redrock Canyon]
(OutCyRk) Late Afternoon, Warm, Partly Cloudy, Gentle Breeze

This would really help the generic mapper in Mudlet.

I know that there might be a way to tell Mudlet the right name, but many people, including me, will have difficulties doing it.

Midnight
Rias
DEV

Re: Mudlet Mapper

Post by Rias »

Would something like this work?
::ROOM-ID-509cdd62-2df0-46d8-b762-7af26aff9b03::
[Shadgard Town Hall, Second Floor] (InUr) Mild
Sunlight streams in through a large round-topped window in the south wall ...
Note the preceding line that's just the ROOM-ID string. Each room has its own unique ID. Could the Mudlet automapper be set up to use those?

I figure this could also be useful for travels scripts and the like. It would be another MetaPrefix option, off by default, so only the people who want to make use of it would see it.

Anyone have any concerns that this would allow some kind of detrimental usage or behavior? If I want to keep certain areas extra mysterious or use weird wonky mechanics like mazes, or where rooms are supposed to be impossible to discern from identical ones for some kind of puzzle or whatever, I can always disable or spoof the room IDs displayed for them.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

Thanks for the reply.

I think this would work, but I am not sure, I would need to test it. The best mappers, which I used in the past were always based on GMCP data.
But I think the Mudlet Generic Mapper will work fine with this Room ID. It will still be a lot of work to explore the world and carefully make the map, especially with all the special exits like 'go library' etc. And in areas like mazes, the Room ID could be just hidden or a random number shown.

Midnight
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

I tried it and it works perfectly! Thanks a lot!

You need to tell 'map prompt ::', then the mapper will use what comes after '::' as Room Name.
Then you can 'start mapping' and 'stop mapping'.
For a portal you can 'add portal -f go wild', this will make a new room on top of the one, where you are in, which is reached with 'go wild'. Then you need to shift the new room, e.g. 'shift n', and also make a portal there, e.g. 'add portal go gate' (without the -f, so no new room is made, but the mapper will find the destination by itself).

Mapping takes time, and you often you need to correct the map manually in editing mode by mouse. But for me, mapping is a lot of fun.

Thanks again,
Midnight
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

it seems to work well now
Attachments
Map Lost Lands.PNG
(89.47 KiB) Not downloaded yet