Shield Charge

For technical bugs that merit special attention or discussion. (Please use the BUG command in-game first to report the bug.)
Umbra

Shield Charge

Post by Umbra »

I have tested it a few times and shield charge still isn't charging, it has the text saying "You shield charge toward X, getting closer to melee range" but it only moves 1 space, when I enter the area it takes 2 spaces to engage in melee combat so I tested it entering the room, letting them move 1 space, and engaged in melee, it only ever worked in melee combat.
Talyn

Re: Shield Charge

Post by Talyn »

if the target is in position avoid, you don't close the gap I think was written in the change logs. I also reread your post hope things get resolved
Last edited by Talyn on Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Not Accepting Surrenders At This Time. I Want You To Know Failure, Utter Defeat, And That It Is I Who Delivers It Crashing Down Upon You.
-NotRias
Karjus

Post by Karjus »

Hi Umbra,

That would be intentional with the way the current engagement mechanics work. Currently nothing moves you instantly into attack range, and gets an attack off.

So, what would be happening, is your Shield Charge is working and closing the gap so you're in range sooner than i you did a normal attack, and then you can use it again after the RT is up to hit them with it in melee.

The beauty is you get a ranged closer that sounds as effective as mounted moves.
- Karjus

Speaking to you, XYZ says, "Never bother to wash it. It gets dirty again anyway."
Speaking to XYZ, you say, "I hope you don't treat your ass the same way."
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

When not in melee range of an opponent, the shield charge is only going to act as a means of closing the gap to your target more quickly. In this case it will indeed not land a hit, and also won't go on cooldown. You're just approaching your target more quickly.

If your target is a melee attacker who's also approaching you at the same time (like most common hostile mobs do) then charging in will likely not seem to make much difference: The two of you are already approaching each other and are going to get into Melee range quickly even with normal attacks.

Charges are going to be more noticeably useful against ranged attackers or targets trying to avoid combat altogether (using the Avoid combat mode) where you'll get to them in fewer attempts than if you were using non-charging attacks.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO