LOTS of Rambling on Death

Share your feedback about COGG.
Xandrea

Re: LOTS of Rambling on Death

Post by Xandrea »

Controversial opinion, but I actually prefer the idea that one cannot say no to it, and the resulting drama/RP that occurs when someone gets restored to life in a way they might not appreciate.
I don't like bringing up the Other World but, I've heard 'things' about Rook ressurections in the past. I never found out personally but, if that's a possibility. I'm using my shakey hearsay knowledge and ask. At least nothing 'permanent'? If you're dead it's not like you can say no. That's fine. I can't spiritually intervene in my own resurrection! Drama is good but, the consequence of that particular resurrection I wouldn't wish on someone.

Again, this is on years old hearsay knowledge that someone told me back when. I'm speaking vaguely on it in case someone reads this that doesn't know what I'm talking about. Because 1 it might not be a thing anymore but, 2 if it is I don't want to spoil it for them.
How many Sorcerers does it take to read a book?
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Xandrea wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:23 pmI've heard 'things' about Rook ressurections in the past. [...] At least nothing 'permanent'?
Like it was in The Other Game (while I was around, at least), it won't have permanent consequences. Just something mild that will need to be dealt with by those who care to. The more someone lets it compound without dealing with it though, the harder it could become to take care of.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Cal

Post by Cal »

Rias wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:52 pm I think a fun thing about having the Death Puzzle Area is that as mentioned previously, it can offer vague hints and things for people to grasp at as to what's actually going on with the whole Undying thing, while not explicitly explaining it. A big part of the experience would be confusion and vagueness. Room descriptions would be weird (and changing), the standard Five Senses wouldn't really be working properly, etc. But a few things would be constants or near-constants as part of the experience to offer some Undying Lore Conspiracy Theory Bait.

Another thing I was thinking of: In CLOK, there was a certain item in the Death Area that could be used to send out a sort of signal that those with special ESP pendant tuners could sense. This was essentially like an SOS signal, and also gave an idea of where the corpse was at to aid in rescues. I think I'd like to keep that around. I had a good amount of lore behind that particular mechanic which I'm sad doesn't really play into things currently in COGG because the death experience doesn't really exist. Then part of the Death Area interactivity could simply be finding that object again every so often to send out SOS updates, to to speak. While also having a timer on it so it doesn't get spammed, because that could be really annoying. It was possible to just idle next to in in CLOK - I think this time I'd want it to have to be found again after each activation, to keep that interactivity going rather than just idling. Activate it, then have to go through more exploration/puzzles to find it again for the next activation.
Frisbee wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:45 pm I think there should be a way for the dead person to intervene and say "NO" before they are resurrected by a PC, especially when it comes to means that not all people might enjoy, like familiar resurrection was, on CLOK.
Controversial opinion, but I actually prefer the idea that one cannot say no to it, and the resulting drama/RP that occurs when someone gets restored to life in a way they might not appreciate.
I actually love all of this. :D Having a "SOS button" you can activate with each successive challenge completed seems like a good addition for those times when you die all alone (or "I've died so many times recently that I've been dead for fifteen minutes going through all these puzzles can somebody PLEASE just save me already I've learned my lesson I SWEAR").

I also prefer not being able to have a say in whether or not one is brought back from death in some way, especially if you don't know it's happening until it's done. It's a bit like... you accepted this risk, now you have to deal with it, kind of a vibe that I think all meaningful death mechanics should have.

That said, I don't know what revive mechanics anyone is talking about here, but anything done by another player without my agreement that would permanently change my character would push it over the edge into "not fun" for me. A major, but temporary, change would be fine and probably fun; a minor but permanent one, not so much. (At least not without the option to say "no".)
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Fun related trivia: Some people in The Other Game were actually disappointed that it -wasn't- permanent after intentionally dying and being raised by this method over and over in rapid succession in order to try and get it to stick. Which is why I like the idea of it compounding and becoming more difficult to reverse each time it happens without being treated.

I get that some people did it in pursuit of that Other Similar Condition which is admittedly cool and potentially advantageous in certain ways while being deliberately very disadvantageous in most others. But I don't want something like that to be achievable by someone intentionally dying and being raised over and over. That's a bit too gamey for my tastes, and rewarding deliberate death and neglect of adverse consequence treatment is not something I want to do.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Cal

Post by Cal »

Rias wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:22 pm But I don't want something like that to be achievable by someone intentionally dying and being raised over and over. That's a bit too gamey for my tastes, and rewarding deliberate death and neglect of adverse consequence treatment is not something I want to do.
As a follow-up to that, maybe it could be more difficult to raise the person if they've already been revived recently, as well? So that if you're too reckless or deliberately getting yourself killed, there's only so many times you can be revived by a player before you have to do it the long way.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Cal wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:45 pm As a follow-up to that, maybe it could be more difficult to raise the person if they've already been revived recently, as well? So that if you're too reckless or deliberately getting yourself killed, there's only so many times you can be revived by a player before you have to do it the long way.
Good call, I like that. And by the way, welcome to COGG!
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Vaelin

Post by Vaelin »

You know, this might tie in with some of the sorcery's blood related abilities, especially trying to communicate past the veil of death if they took a bit of your blood. I do think the death mechanic in the game is a bit... lackluster and totally enjoyed the experience of corpse rescuing on the other game.
(Insert appropriate smiley)
Teri

Post by Teri »

Pondering something inspired by Valheim, where if one dies, they take a 5% hit to all skills. I was considering this as a particular harsher respawn path of a certain percentage hit to all skills or randomized so one isn't using it as a faster way to decrease skills to free up skill points. In effect, it would decrease the practice and dump the skill points back into unspent.
I say respawn path specifically because I don't think it would be fun to get hit with on every death, but if someone weighed the cost and decided on it, it would be something for skill capped characters to choose to come back faster and well, have something to grind again. From bouncing ideas in vc, maybe this path is a "beat some random champion, come back faster" but if they fail, get smacked with the skill hit.
Oh no, looks like I might die as I have lived. In the wrong place at the wrong time
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

Staff have been discussing death mechanics and the general consensus is that death does need some updates, with a bit more punch and no more instant-respawn on death. This should help discourage recklessness and just overall emphasize that death is in fact a Bad Thing even for the Undying. Bringing back the concept of the Deathknell (IC death alert system of sorts), rescues, more active-effort resurrection processes, and increased overall death/undying lore are all things I'm really excited about!

Death overhaul stuff isn't being worked on quite yet, but it's very high on the priority list! I figured it was worth a heads-up post, and I wanted to give the opportunity for players to provide any more ideas or feedback they have on the subject.
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

This is the most exciting COGG news I've ever heard. I am so happy this thread has evolved the way it has, and I cannot wait to see how the mechanics shape up to be.

Thank you so very much for listening to all our crazy suggestions.
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.