On Body Builds and Hights

Share your feedback about COGG.
Frisbee

On Body Builds and Hights

Post by Frisbee »

I've always been impressed with the variety of eye colours, skin types, body builds and the like that we can pick during character creation. I don't think I've ever met two people with exactly the same appearance, and I've come across a fair few folks. I'd like to say good job, as far as that's concerned.

One thing, however. It occurs to me that some of the hight and build combinations are -- How shall I say? Not exactly valid? Unless I'm misunderstanding the definitions of some words. But I did double-check before making this post. For example, how can one possibly be about six and a half feet tall and be described as petite? Or be really short and willowy, at the same time? Willowy sort of implies that you're tall and graceful, I thought.

Mind, this is a tiny thing and doesn't affect much at all, I just thought I'd mention it because it's always struck me as odd. Still, it would be nice if there was something preventing you from choosing specific builds for specific hights.
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
Zombilicious

Re: On Body Builds and Hights

Post by Zombilicious »

It would be interesting to see certain body types gated behind heights, or at least races. It is hard to picture someone tall with a petite physique, because petite implies they're short -- and you're right about willowy, though I think a willowy figure could suit anyone who's not notably short-short.

Though if we gated body types behind heights, we might see more similar descriptions instead of the vast variety, even if it would be more realistic.
:verungnr_tentacles: :vodr_trident:
Gorth

Post by Gorth »

This is why I personally prefer either:
1. A more in depth questionaire during Chargen, so more complicated description would help with gating similarities.
2: Ability to use our own custom descriptions, at least to a point, and they'd likely have to be aproved.

Neither solution is perfect, and as @Op has said, the current solution is fine as well.
:undm_scales_key: :shagerd:
Proud owner of the ten thousandth post.
Rias
DEV

Post by Rias »

The examples given (tall & petite, short & willowy) do make me twitch a little, too. It's not a huge deal, but yeah, I'd like to eventually have a few of the wonkier combinations be unpossible (sic).
<Rias> PUT ON PANTS
<Fellborn> NO
Frisbee

Post by Frisbee »

Gorth's suggestion about custom descriptions might be worth looking into, I think. The only downside to it is that it would probably result in even more work for our wonderful staff, here.

At any rate, thank you all for responding, and a special thanks to Rias for being so awesome about listening to our feedback and suggestions. 👍
Stop putting watermellons into the first thing you see that looks like it can hold a watermellon. It is most rude, because you'll only make them feel like they don't belong.
Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Personally, I'm waiting for the amorphous body type.

I want my character to look like me IRL.